Thread: Umarex Beretta 92FS maintenance

Umarex Beretta 92FS maintenance

I saw somewhere very recently a thread about oiling/maintenance for a Beretta 92FS, but cannot find it again for the life of me. Perhaps in a different forum. Anyway, something was said to the effect that these pistols leave the factory with no lubrication, for whatever reason.

As some of you know, I have ordered this gun for my daughter Jackie, who will be using it to begin a training program for her upcoming Royal Canadian Mounted Police academy classes. (still have not received the pistol, thanks to the Canada Post strike!) I am aware of the need to put a drop of pellgun oil on the tips of the CO2 cartridges, but that is ALL I know. Can someone explain what oiling/maintenance is required, (and how often) and what products are best?

My daughter and I both appreciate any help we can get.

Thanks!

Glen and Jackie
    Fogo Island, Newfoundland

I don't recall my manual ever mentioning the need to lubricate it and have only ever put a drop of pelligun oil on every 2nd co2 cannister or so....never had any problems with it.

The real thing is a lot lighter than the pellet version. Out of curiosity why didn't you buy her the real thing?

If your daughter has small hands I'm not sure she will particularly like the 92fs. I'm surprised it's the carry gun for the Canadian police.

Quote Originally Posted by Lykoris View Post
    I don't recall my manual ever mentioning the need to lubricate it and have only ever put a drop of pelligun oil on every 2nd co2 cannister or so....never had any problems with it.

The real thing is a lot lighter than the pellet version. Out of curiosity why didn't you buy her the real thing?

If your daughter has small hands I'm not sure she will particularly like the 92fs. I'm surprised it's the carry gun for the Canadian police.
    Hi Lykoris,

The Beretta is not the official sidearm for the RCMP; that would be the all-stainless Smith and Wesson 5946. (discontinued) The Umarex Beretta is similar in weight and bulk to the S&W 5946, which is why my daughter has chosen it to begin her target shooting. In fact, this very same .177 version of the Beretta 92 is used by many police academies across North America to begin the recruit firearms training, prior to stepping up to the 9mm.

The reason she does not have the 9mm version is because she has not yet reached her 18th birthday. In the meantime, she will be taking the CFSC (Canadian Firearms Safety Course) as well as the CRFSC (Canadian RESTRICTED Firearms Safety Course) so that she will be legally able to purchase and shoot restricted handguns upon her turning 18.

Fortunately, Jacqueline has rather large hands, so the size should not be much of an issue. My understanding is that a fully loaded Beretta 92 (9mm) weighs a bit less than the .177 version. Same goes for a fully loaded S&W 5946.

Thanks,
    Glen
    Last edited by camperbc; 27-06-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Hi Glen,

I don't have any of the Umarex pellet shooters but I would think that the mechanism is one thats best left without lubrication so that it doesn't attract grit and wear the mechanism prematurely.

I would just stick to pellgun oil to keep the seals in good condition.

out of curiousity I weighted them

92fs 9 para with loaded mag of 115 grain fmj came in at 1.095kg...and that is with nills grips not the stock plastic grips....so I'd say it's just over a 1kg.

the .177 pellet replica, loaded also, comes in at 1.349kg.

I find it crazy they use a pellet replica and not a decent .22lr pistol, like a s&w m41 to learn how to shoot, learn something new everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Lykoris View Post
    out of curiousity I weighted them

92fs 9 para with loaded mag of 115 grain fmj came in at 1.095kg...and that is with nills grips not the stock plastic grips....so I'd say it's just over a 1kg.

the .177 pellet replica, loaded also, comes in at 1.349kg.

I find it crazy they use a pellet replica and not a decent .22lr pistol, like a s&w m41 to learn how to shoot, learn something new everyday.
    Hi Lykoris, thanks for going to the trouble of testing the weight of the pistols; much appreciated. Surprising that the .177 version is indeed several ounces heavier than the 9mm.

To clarify, the RCMP is not one of the police agencies that starts their recruits with the .177 92FS; rather they begin training right away with the standard issue S&W 5946. (or the 3953 for some females with particularly small hands)

In Jackie's case, she is buying the .177 version simply because, as I mentioned earlier, she is not yet legally able to purchase a "real" handgun. A bonus is that she can shoot this one right in our own yard!

Glen

the difference is the slide, one is an alluminium alloy and the other steel, so I think the pellet version would be a closer match weight wise to the s&w 5946 given it's also all steel construction.

The manual only mentions putting a drop of pellgun oil on the CO2 cartridge.

http://www.pyramydair.com/site/manua...tta-umarex.pdf

A little oil on the slide and opening catch and trigger mechanism.
    Emphasis on a little.
    Open and close the slide gently. If you let it bang things will come loose.
    Tighten the screw at the end of the barrel occasionally.
    And keep it away from cold weather

Regarding Pellgun oil for metal on metal, some say yes, some say know! What to do, what to do? Should I try it or not? Sheesh, another sleepless night!

Well, the good news is that my (well actually my daughter's!) spanking new nickel-plated Beretta 92FS with wood grips, has made it much of the way across Canada, (tonight sitting in Montreal) and COULD possibly be at our door by Friday!! We would have had it ages ago, had it not been for the postal strike! At least it is on the final stretch of an almost 7,000 km journey!

We've got a few thousand pellets coming with it, as well as 150 CO2 cartridges, the aforementioned Pellgun oil, and some extra clips, so we're good for awhile!

Glen & Jackie

Pellgun oil is not a problem for metal to metal, it's only a high quality engine oil.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it