Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hazzard warning signs

hazzard warning signs

just a thought when going to get your airtanks refilled,do you need a compressed air sign in your car and if you do and dont display it,will it invalidate your car insurance,(doggone).

Not required for private vehicles.

Just advertises you have something of value to steal.

ATB
    Ray.

Tricky... Ray is right, but if your car is in flames on the motorway, it might help the firefighters to know that there's a 300 bar bomb in the boot, just waiting to go off!

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

[QUOTE=Raygun;5016702]Not required for private vehicles.

QUOTE]

Unless you were using the vehicle for business, such as as a Pest controller.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

imorik is online now I stick my head out and take it on the chin.
    Get a magnetic Compressed Air warning sign off that auction site for a couple of quid. Not compulsory unless it's business use. Use one myself as I use my van for mainly business but at the week end to ferry my kit to the gun club, which is when I use the sign . Plus it'd be a good thing if the fire brigade were trying to put out your car fire that they were aware of the potential bomb you're carrying in the boot.
    AA TX200 MK2 .177, MK3 Barrel, long stroked & shortened T/P
    AA TX200 MK3 HC .177, 22mm internals, shortened T/P
    http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/

doggone

ok thanks lads,i think i will use one,then when i park up take it out,so no undue advertising for the orribles.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    It dont think it matters whether your vehicle is being used for commercial puposes or not (although it may be an insurance requirement).

The requirement is based on the ammount of air/cylinders you are carrying.

I looked into it some time back with the HSE, it was something daft like 300litres ONO.

You would have to really be packing some to make it a requirement.

My Step Daughter and son in law are coppers, and I have mates who are firemen, and I would like to think if there was a crunch, the emergency services would at least have a clue what they were dealing with.

It is not a requirement, but aside of the theft issue, I think it is a good move to display a sticker, magnetic idealy so you can bung it on the cylinder, and transfer it to the motor when it is in residence as said.

I just used to keep forgetting the bloody thing!!
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Hi,
    According to a feature in the current Airgun Shooter mag it IS a requirement to display a "Compressed Gas" warning label when transporting the air bottle in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Hi,
    According to a feature in the current Airgun Shooter mag it IS a requirement to display a "Compressed Gas" warning label when transporting the air bottle in your car.
    Can you link to the legislation please.

ATB
    Ray.

This might help its from a diving site

BSAC TECHNICAL PUBLICATIONS
    Information Sheet T.10

BSAC Diving Information - Compressed Gas - Warning Signs

EC legislation now coming into force in UK requires commercial vehicles carrying compressed gases and other hazardous substances, to carry a Hazard Warning sign which emergency services will recognise and make allowances for when dealing with road traffic accidents. For compressed air cylinders, the sign is a green diamond (minimum size 100mm square) with a cylinder symbol and the words Compressed Air.

Amateur divers have asked if there is any legal requirement for them to display such a sign when transporting aqualung cylinders in private cars. BSAC has sought advice from the Health and Safety Executive, and we are assured by an Inspector from the HSE Diving National Interest Group that this legislation applies only to those who are at work, not to those carrying gas cylinders in private cars for recreational purposes.

The legislation is likely to apply to diving school staff / professional recreational diving instructors carrying cylinders in a private car when used for business, but it does not apply to the average diving club member going about their recreational pursuit; nor does anything in the legislation suggest that it might be expanded to include recreational users in future.

Divers might think it socially responsible to display such a sign on their cars when carrying cylinders on the highway - and it would not be illegal to do so - but the legislation states that the sign should be displayed only while cylinders are actually in transit. If there are no cylinders in the car, there should be no sign suggesting that there are. Bearing in mind that the signs are usually in the form of a window sticker, this could be a problem! Furthermore, permanent display of such a sign might invite criminals to break into the car, hoping to find something valuable to steal.

To summarise, HSE have made it clear to BSAC that the legislation does not apply to persons who are not at work, so is not applicable to recreational divers going about their chosen sport.

Bill
    AA S200T 10m , HW100T, Cometa 220, Diana 27, Original Mod 6, Gamo compact+center, Rohm twinmaster Top, S&W 586/4+6+8, Berretta 92 airsoft, Blinged crossman 2240, CP88 4", CO2 Uzi 6mm, Air arms Alfa proj .177, Drulov DU10 .177, HW 99s, Hammarelli AP20pro

just bought one from that auction site after reading the above .. £2.40 well spent. Even if it's not law it should be. Couldn't agree more about giving the emergency services a heads up if the worst ever happened .. never even occurred to me before. Well done blokes.
    My wife complains that I've got more sense than money.

Yep I've just bought one as well, magnetic so it can be removed when the bottle is not in the car. Would be useful for the emergency services in case of an accident.
    AA FTP 900 .177 ~ Hawke Airmax 30 8-32X50.
    AA Ultimate Sporter R .177 ~ Hawke Airmax 30 8-32X50
    AA Ultimate Sporter XS Xtra FAC .22 ~ Hawke Nite-Eye Digi 6-24X50.

Just to add a slightly different angle to the discussion:-

What (other than the volume) is the difference in carrying a fill bottle or just a PCP rifle with potentially 500cc of compressed air?

Just a question, where is the line drawn, 'cause as I see it, if one wants to be pedantic, just carrying the rifle could warrant the display of a warning sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by niloc View Post
    Just to add a slightly different angle to the discussion:-

What (other than the volume) is the difference in carrying a fill bottle or just a PCP rifle with potentially 500cc of compressed air?

Just a question, where is the line drawn, 'cause as I see it, if one wants to be pedantic, just carrying the rifle could warrant the display of a warning sticker.
    The line is drawn when you are carrying it by way of trade.
    Private use....no sticker required.
    Trade use, sticker required. It's simple & clear cut.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbill View Post
    This might help its from a diving site

BSAC TECHNICAL PUBLICATIONS
    Information Sheet T.10

BSAC Diving Information - Compressed Gas - Warning Signs

EC legislation now coming into force in UK requires commercial vehicles carrying compressed gases and other hazardous substances, to carry a Hazard Warning sign which emergency services will recognise and make allowances for when dealing with road traffic accidents. For compressed air cylinders, the sign is a green diamond (minimum size 100mm square) with a cylinder symbol and the words Compressed Air.

Amateur divers have asked if there is any legal requirement for them to display such a sign when transporting aqualung cylinders in private cars. BSAC has sought advice from the Health and Safety Executive, and we are assured by an Inspector from the HSE Diving National Interest Group that this legislation applies only to those who are at work, not to those carrying gas cylinders in private cars for recreational purposes.

The legislation is likely to apply to diving school staff / professional recreational diving instructors carrying cylinders in a private car when used for business, but it does not apply to the average diving club member going about their recreational pursuit; nor does anything in the legislation suggest that it might be expanded to include recreational users in future.

Divers might think it socially responsible to display such a sign on their cars when carrying cylinders on the highway - and it would not be illegal to do so - but the legislation states that the sign should be displayed only while cylinders are actually in transit. If there are no cylinders in the car, there should be no sign suggesting that there are. Bearing in mind that the signs are usually in the form of a window sticker, this could be a problem! Furthermore, permanent display of such a sign might invite criminals to break into the car, hoping to find something valuable to steal.

To summarise, HSE have made it clear to BSAC that the legislation does not apply to persons who are not at work, so is not applicable to recreational divers going about their chosen sport.

Bill
    That makes sense now, it was a while back I checked and posted the answer on here.

It says coming in, so is commercial based but not here yet.

Typical of the europrats to add yet another bit of double edged red tape

What the hell is the difference between a 300bar cylinder in a commercial vehicle, against a non commercial one?

Tits

The point about the "not showing it" when the cylinder is not there is also valid, as it may delay your rescue while they assess the risk.

Some dick had ejector seat triangles on a car some time back, and it caused some issues...fool.

I wonder how they go with airbag gas generators?

Are they cylinders with a pyro initiator, or just a pyro gas generator

My take is that I should show one, lost it, but well reminded, I will get another ASAP
    I'm a maggot in another life you know