Thread: Grinding the end coil of a cut of a spring once flattened, for beginners?

Grinding the end coil of a cut of a spring once flattened, for beginners?

If someone could help me with what this involves, I'd be grateful.

I don't have a bench grinder but I am prepared to buy an angle grinder if this would do the job. Are there any alternatives? Is just filing it manually feasible?

When using a power grinder what sort of wheel should be used?

Does the heat generated by power grinding affect the tempering of the steel?

A lot of questions, I know, but I'm a complete novice who has two Weihrauchs with cut springs, and IŽd rather do the job myself than trust it to others. Most people out here know even less than me about airguns.

If the guns function OK, is it really necessary to deal with a cut spring?

Mine shoot accurately enough, but I've read that a cut spring can damage a gun over time.

If this is the case, then I'm surprised that a quality manufacturer like Weihrauch would even contemplate such a silly cost cutting exercise.

I am aware that the later models come with a properly finished main spring.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Hi Arthur

When I shorten springs, I just cut through at the desired length with a 4 1/2" grinder with a metal cutting disk, I then warm the last coil with my propane blowlamp then knock it on my anvil to flatten the end..
    Once it's cooled I grind it flat on the belt sander...

Never had one fail yet (touch wood- the next one will probably break now )

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Heat the tip in a gas stove ring while gripping the top coil in pliers spanning the two wires and squeezing

It will soon soften and the coil will close under the pressure of the pliers.

Cool down by dipping in the nearby washing up bowl of cold water then clamp in a vice and file flat and smooth

Finish with 400 grit to get a nice glossy finish

This works for me

Cheers
    Last edited by MattyBoy; 31-07-2011 at 08:32 PM.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

jay.t is offline Unique is an understatement, I'm just a messed up frog pimp.
    Hopefully a link HERE
    Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?

Thanks a lot.

Looks like I can do it with a hacksaw, blow torch or gas cooker ring, file, and a lot of elbow grease.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Once you've done this a couple of times it's easy. If you need to cut the spring first a dremel rotary tool or similar with a small cutting disc should do the job; it's what I use. I tried a hacksaw once but found it really difficult to get it to bite into the steel. Maybe slipping the spring over a length of wooden dowel before putting it in the (padded) vice jaws might help if all you have is a hacksaw. Before closing up the last coil with heat I like to tidy up the cut end with fine files and maybe wet and dry paper so that there are no tiny burrs where the cut end meets the next coil. Then of course do a final finish after the spring has cooled down. If the spring will stand up by itself on the newly-finished end you will be doing well; if it is vertical then so much the better.

When I compress a coil, I stand a metal spring guide on a solid surface, like my vice, and slip the hot spring over the guide, and push down. hopefully, the rear coil will be at 90 degrees. If you don't have a bench grinder, finish of by putting some wet and dry on a flat surface, and do it by hand.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Hi,

It's not a bad idea to get a grinder anyway, useful things tohave to hand?

Regards