Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hazzard warning signs

well said rift,step back lads some of you having ago at each other dont help just sensible oppinions (take some gas and air lads)lol.

Be interesting to see how many put a compressed air sticker in the front window of their house.

If the Fire Brigade need to know whats in your car surely they also need to know if you've got a cylinder in your house. It could go next to that little "Crime Watch" one

ATB
    Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Raygun View Post
    Be interesting to see how many put a compressed air sticker in the front window of their house.

If the Fire Brigade need to know whats in your car surely they also need to know if you've got a cylinder in your house. It could go next to that little "Crime Watch" one

ATB
    Ray.
    They'll want to know what's in my house & garage next!!
    Gas cylinders, air cylinders and lots of ammo, car with full diesel tank, bike with full petrol tank, generator with full tank, etc.!!!!!!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

ATB
    Ray.
    Ray,

I have never crashed a house besides of which my walls are 26" thick and I do not fill the house with liquid fuel. I appeciate some people do. Anyway all joshing aside IMO it's a reasonable idea. As with all things, personal choice applies.

Take care, as always, Matt
    All in black, all in black, gives wabbits a heart attack.

HSE

Have a read, page 6:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/cdg/pdf/safusgc.pdf

It's a 2004 publication but I doubt much has changed.

Cheers
    CG

Stickers?

You are not selling these stickers on are you doggone lol.you have everyone buying them now. Good thread thow, better go get mine, cough.

Not required for private vehicles.

Just advertises you have something of value to steal.

ATB
    Ray.
    Then get one that is magnetic or sucker.

If they emergency services attend a car fire and your unconcious and cant warn them, you are happy for a couple of fire crew to have their heads blown off by a cylinder then

Look, it is really simple.

If there is no trade, you are not obliged to carry or display a warning insignia.

That does not mean it is not sensible to do so. In fact, I would argue it is morally unacceptable not to warn someone who is obliged to attend and effectively put their lives on the line.

If your other half was in the brigade and you got that call, I doubt the owner of said vehicle would be on your christmas card list would they.

And if you do have to leave it in the car, either do it where other folks will know like an HFT comp or dont leave it.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Anyone that says it is a good idea for a car, in case the car catches fire also would have to have the sticker displayed in their house window, in case their house catches fire.

Just what is the difference ?

It's more than likely that your air cylinder spends more time in your house/garage than in your car.

Wonder what there's more of, car fires or house fires

ATB
    Ray.

Because you can always inform the local brigade that there is a dive cylinder at that address so if they are called to attend at your residence or next door they can take appropraite action...

Ray what is your problem wether people want to give sensible warning to others

Jesus......I would like to know if I was at risk of having a bottle blow in my immediate vicinity.

And as was said above, how many of people who use scuba tanks actually secure the buggers in the car?

They are heavy enough lifting it in the car but travelling at 70mph it is going to be so much fun

I don't have a problem with what anyone wants to do.

It just seems ridiculous to make an issue of having a sticker in your car when you ignore the fact that you keep a charged cylinder in your house without any warning.

As for informing the Fire Brigade you have a cylinder at home, not even a starter. The list of what you would have to inform them of would be endless.

I would imagine 15/20 gallons of petrol would present a far greater risk than a fully tested air cylinder anyway.

It's not a requirement but something that has been extracted from "Industrial Legislation". Maybe there's other stuff that we should consider. I'm pretty certain that if the powers that be had determined a risk then legislation would have been applied to a Private carrier as well as a Commercial one.

We have enough legislation to comply with without inventing stuff someone thinks we should comply with.

If it floats your boat then "Jog on".

ATB
    Ray.

we know it is not compulsory. the argument is a moral one

And you need to tell your insurer too if you carry it or store it at home.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    I can understand wanting to help the emergency services should you have a smash. However, if you are going to display the warning signs you need to ensure that you fully comply with the legislation that governs their use. There are further regulations that you should comply with. By virtue of using them you are giving the suggestion that you are a commercial enterprise. That alone may invalidate your insurance. I had long discussions on this with my insurance company. They were happy for me to occasionally carry a dive cylinder for recreational use. They were not happy about me displaying the warning signs. Think long and hard before doing something that you aren't required by law to do. As far as I was concerned it was a case of "The road to hell being paved with good intentions".
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Vimes View Post
    I can understand wanting to help the emergency services should you have a smash. However, if you are going to display the warning signs you need to ensure that you fully comply with the legislation that governs their use. There are further regulations that you should comply with. By virtue of using them you are giving the suggestion that you are a commercial enterprise. That alone may invalidate your insurance. I had long discussions on this with my insurance company. They were happy for me to occasionally carry a dive cylinder for recreational use. They were not happy about me displaying the warning signs. Think long and hard before doing something that you aren't required by law to do. As far as I was concerned it was a case of "The road to hell being paved with good intentions".
    Sounds rather short sighted should anyone sue following an accident.

Most cylinders have a warning marker on them anyway, what happens if that can be seen Chris?

The point you have made though is that yet again, legislation is not there not to protect people going about their business in a common sense way, but to arse cover insurance companies and benefit any bugger with a law degree!!

As an earlier poster said, the FRS will do a risk assessment, prevent further injury and all that.

But, as I and my step daughetr and son work for the emergency services, I think they deserve better.

In a good smash, there is no guarantee the bottle will be seen, or that it will blow on impact.

So when they are digging you out, everyone is at risk.

Mind you if it is a good smash...what's the chances of a magnetic sign being seen...or in one piece?

What bothers me most about this debate is 2 fold.

Firstly that a common sense approach showing moral decency towards the EM services is even questionable under any form of legislation (that is not to say it must be mandatory, but that doubt be placed on whether you should do the right thing by some poxy insurance/euro legislation).

Secondly, that any right minded person would argue with the logic.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    Secondly, that any right minded person would argue with the logic.
    Since when has logic come into it with regards to legislation and, as a consequence, insurance companies? I'd much prefer to display the signs. However, on investigation of the ramifications of doing so I may fall foul of legislation and invalidate my insurance to boot. I can't afford to do either.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Vimes View Post
    Since when has logic come into it with regards to legislation and, as a consequence, insurance companies? I'd much prefer to display the signs. However, on investigation of the ramifications of doing so I may fall foul of legislation and invalidate my insurance to boot. I can't afford to do either.
    That Chris is exactly what I meant mate

It is a simple, seemingly sensible act, that could open a huge can of worms....crazy!!
    I'm a maggot in another life you know