Thread: HW80 .25 Caliber Impressed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Update to my previous post, i have been out this evening with my Hatsan Stryker .25
    i got x2 tree rats at 20 and 17 yds, i can confirm they do not like .25 pellets
    the 1st tree rat was in the fork of a tree about 25 -30 ft high, he tried to freeze but i had already spotted him the pellet hit the grey in the head the impact knocked him clean out the tree stone dead ,the second grey was halfway up a tree trunk so i clicked at him he stopped to look silly squirrel the .25 caught him in the chest the impact again knocking it straight to the ground, these .25 pellets sure do a lot of trauma damage and i think with practise out to 30 yds should not be a problem,great calibre and the gun is great value for the money,
    atb brian

edbear2 Guest
    Another vote for this calibre at legal (sub 12) power......mine is a N.O.S. BSA used solely for rats out to 15 yards max......I used a TX200 in .177 before and trust me, the results so far with the besa are in a totally different league in terms of stopping power, and without going into graphic terms. Lets just say they really don't know what's hit them

In historical terms (I normally hang out in collectors and have few prewar BSA underlevers)......The .25 was built as a full power 45" under lever way back pre WW1, but was replaced by an identical gun with a .22 bore.....This is a high 11's seriously accurate gun given the limitations of no scope.

At the time (we are talking pre 1914 don't forget) it was stated that "although the .25 was a deadly gun out to 25 or so yards, at around the mid / high 11's in power, the much easier to live with and allow for ballistic curve and characteristics of the smaller .22 made it overall a more efficient gun", so the .25 was dropped from the range.

So.....as others have said, at sub 12 a brilliant close-medium range hunter......out past that,invest in a morter sight to allow for pellet drop

Guns are like tools, just use the right one for the job in hand!