Thread: 4.49 or 4.50 - what should I use and why?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

4.49 or 4.50 - what should I use and why?

After a gap of over 35 years I am returning to target shooting and find the choice of pellet sizing a little confusing.

Previously all the RWS, H&N and Eley Match pellets I had shot with in the 70's were just generally available as .177 or 4.50mm.

Now various options are availabe apart from the 4.50mm standard gauge - the most popular of which is 4.49mm.

When I ask shooters why they choose to use 4.49 instead of the regular 4.50mm they don't seem to know why - only that they have been advised to buy 4.49 rather than 4.50.

I am hoping I can open a debate with this thread to gain some knowledgeable reasoning for the choice, and in turn help me to decide on the correct gauge of pellet for use in my Feinwerkbau P44 or Steyr L10 match pistols to gain the best results.
    Last edited by zooma; 10-07-2011 at 09:54 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to
    The answer is a simple one - you use the one head size that your barrel prefers. Most high end pistols will come with a test group from the factory that show what head size your pistol prefers, I generally go with this and haven't had any problems. Most of the time I just used 4.49's because I have a millon of them lying around and make sure when I get a new pistol it has been tested using this head size. The jsb green pistol pellets and R10's in this head size are about as good as it gets :-)

Lee
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.

Whatever size you decide to use, note the stated diameter and then put a mike onto a dozen pellets and see how many correspond....... .

Possibly the expensive, specially selected competition variants may bear some relation, but with the run-of-the-mill pellets it's likely to be wishful thinking.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

I have gone with what The Doctor says i.e. the test group that came with my LP10 stated 4.49 so thats what I went with. I shoot JSM Match Diabolos (yellow) and I am improving slowly (particularly enjoying 20 yard at the moment). I don't think I'm at the stage where a different pellet would make much difference - but I could be, and often am, wrong

Any luck with your hunt for the elusive Model 40??

Cheers

Mark

I have my testcard with the Steyr. Was shot with the smaller diameters. 49 or 50 I think.
    Usually, pistols prefer smaller sizes, rifles larger.
    Not all pistols respond to sizechange by the way. Many dont give any accuracy differences.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    I have my testcard with the Steyr. Was shot with the smaller diameters. 49 or 50 I think.
    Usually, pistols prefer smaller sizes, rifles larger.
    Not all pistols respond to sizechange by the way. Many dont give any accuracy differences.
    Thats Interesting Yana. So far the suggestion is that pistols are not as sensitive to pellet type or size - but maybe rifles are!

Is that because generally rifle pellets are heavier and the barrel is longer?

Would anyone who shoots match rifles at 10 meters (plus) like to contribute to this please?

I am guessing cheap and lightweight pellets such as the GECO and Hobby are not an ideal choice for use with match rifles and maybe the heavier pellets such as R10 and JSB yellow in the 4.50 or 4.51 sizes would be a better option?

Quote Originally Posted by markwarren View Post
    I have gone with what The Doctor says i.e. the test group that came with my LP10 stated 4.49 so thats what I went with. I shoot JSM Match Diabolos (yellow) and I am improving slowly (particularly enjoying 20 yard at the moment). I don't think I'm at the stage where a different pellet would make much difference - but I could be, and often am, wrong

Any luck with your hunt for the elusive Model 40??

Cheers

Mark
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. The LP10 seems like an obvious one in the sense that the manufacturer states that they used a 4.49 gauge pellet to gain the test group supplied with the pistol - they don't say or reason why they choose that size rather than the 4.50, but I have been tempted like you to run the the 4.49in my LP10 - just because thats what they used - but it would be nice to know the reason why they use a slightly smaller pellet than the gauge they claim the pistol barrel is specified at.

The Feinwerkbau P44 is not so clear as no pellet size is specified in the manual to advise what they used to shoot the test card with.

No luck finding a P40 yet - but I will keep looking!
    Last edited by zooma; 13-07-2011 at 08:10 AM.

I think that unless you are shooting in the 95% or better category, that the pellets at 10m will really not make too much of a difference to your scores.

Even at longer ranges (25 yards) the low cost pellets such as the Geco's and Hobbies group surprisingly well.

You will get more benefit from shooting 4 tins of Geco's to one tin of premium match pellets, just think of how much more practice you can afford.

HTH

Mark