Thread: 4.49 or 4.50 - what should I use and why?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi,

Just to add to the discussion a little more.

I did four ten shot strings over the Combro chronograph last night with two different types of pellets.

The first two strings with a 1/4 full air cylinder

Geco

R10

I then did this again with a full (200Bar) air cylinder fitted.

Geco

R10

As you can see the Geco's are very slightly slower through the pistol than the R10's are.

Both have the same stated tin weights. But I suspect the R10 is fractionally lighter and this gives the increase in FPS.

The test was done just as a matter of interest to see how the LP10E regulator performed with a full then nearly empty cylinder fitted. As you can see there is hardly any difference!

As I had the two pellet types I though it would be a good test of the variance.

The largest shot to shot change (Gecos) looks to be 11fps which is only 0.022% of the highest (493) velocity reading from that 10 shot string.

On the R10 the largest shot to shot change is 6fps which is only 0.0121% of the highest (495) velocity reading from that 10 shot string.

So yes the R10 looks to be more consistent, but the improvement is only 0.0099% of the velocity range.

You need a bigger sample size to give precise results, but this is enough to convince me that the quality is good enough on the low cost option.

Again with rifles on the far smaller target, this can add up to be way more important than it is with the 10m pistol.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks Mark, have you ever conducted any similar type of tests using the various claimed size options from the same pellet type by any chance?

It would be good to see if any difference could be measured in pellet speed by the use of say a series of 4.49 R10 pellets as opposed to a series shot with the 4.50 size of R10 pellets ( or the 4.48 or 4.51 etc).

The suggestion to be gained from this thread so far is that this declared "sizing" by the manufacturers is a waste of time as it makes no difference at all, but maybe it can affect the speed of the pellet more than we think?
    Last edited by zooma; 09-11-2011 at 03:27 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

New Geco Pellets.

Following the "good vibes" about the GECO pellets I bought some last week and noticed they no longer come in the tin with a blue lid - but now have a new red coloured lid.

Maybe this is simply new packaging and I was concerned that I had bought the new pointed GECO pellets by mistake, but on opening the tin I found them to be the target "wadcutter" type sure enough, so they are the type I wanted - but have they changed in any way?

Has anyone noticed any difference between those in the new and old packaging?
    Last edited by zooma; 07-09-2011 at 07:13 AM.

Hi zooma, when I last bought some Gecos the shop told me they now come in a red tin, I don't believe the pellets are any different, but I don't have any from the blue tins left to compare.
    Evo 10 Compact.

Red and Blue Tins - same pellets inside!

Thanks for that - I was guessing it was just a cosmetic packaging thing - but since this is a thread about pellets it seemed a good place to ask!

Same Subject - New Question

I have now got a Walther 300X Anatomical rifle, and as this thread suggests that rifles may indeed benefit a little more from the correct pellet choice than pistols, can anybody advise from their own experience what is the best pellet to use in this particular match rifle.

I am guessing the usual culprits like RWS R10 Rifle are an obvious choice - but as the thread asks - is the 4.50 or 4.51 or even 4.52 size an advantage when used in a Walther 300X Match rifle?

Has anybody used the JSB Match Diablo Rifle or the heavier Match Diablo S100 Rifle in a Walther rifle like this?.....and if so what worked best 4.50. 4.51 or 4.52?

I am guessing the smaller available sizes of 4.48 and 4.49 are not as suitable?
    Last edited by zooma; 11-11-2011 at 08:28 AM.

RWS R10 Rifle 4.50 is best for Walther Rifles.

I have received confirmation by email from a reliable source to advise that Walther have tested all types of pellets in their rifles under very precise conditions, and the pellet that tested the best and gave the tightest groups is the R10 Rifle pellet from RWS, and the size most suited to the Walther barrel is 4.50.

This is a good positive answer that may be helpful to Walther rifle shooters to be aware of as it is not possible for most of us to replicate the exact controlled conditions that the manufacturer can acheive to give such a precise test environment.

Other manufacturers may well have found entirely different results and other pellets and sizes suite their barrels better, but I am happy to accept this good information and will use the R10 rifle 4.50 in my 300 from now onwards knowing that it is the pellet best suited to my rifle.