Thread: Home made CO2 pistol

Home made CO2 pistol

Although I am relatively new to CO2 pistol shooting, I have rapidly become disappointed in the quality of some of the pistols on sale, and being of an inventive nature, have decided to try to make my own. Because I find loading individual pellets into a gun fiddley, I thought I might base the loading system on a Dan Wesson pre-loaded dummy shell, though whether it will be single or multi shot remains to be seen.

Are there any UK gun regulations that would prevent me attempting such an enterprise ?

Many thanks, Ian

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I wouldn't think so, provided the power is kept down to legal limits, and you don't sell it.

Sounds like quite an undertaking, though!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by jassi View Post
    Are there any UK gun regulations that would prevent me attempting such an enterprise ?
    No,
    But that's an interesting challenge you've set yourself!
    Get stuck in and let us know how you are doing
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Oh absolutely.
    I wasn't thinking of building the whole thing from scratch .
    I thought I might use a power unit from a ASG CZ75, as that is an self-contained valve and gas capsule unit and would simplify that end of things.
    Also relatively cheap, at least compared with the one for the Baikal Mak
    If successful, it could have interchangable barrel lengths/calibre to give different shooting experiences.

Ian

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Oh absolutely.
    I wasn't thinking of building the whole thing from scratch .
    I thought I might use a power unit from a ASG CZ75, as that is an self-contained valve and gas capsule unit and would simplify that end of things.
    Also relatively cheap, at least compared with the one for the Baikal Mak
    If successful, it could have interchangable barrel lengths/calibre to give different shooting experiences.

Ian
    The gas valve size and hammer weight have a massive influence on power output.
    I suspect the ASG valve unit will probably max out at 3ft/lbs - if you're lucky,
    Regards,
    Nick

Would you suggest a bigger valve, then?

Does reducing valve spring tension work, or merely reduce seal efficiency?

Ian

Would you suggest a bigger valve, then?

Does reducing valve spring tension work, or merely reduce seal efficiency?

Ian
    Ian,
    The spring has some small effect on valve opening time but there's around 800psi of pressure holding it shut for the hammer to overcome and a proportion of that pressure assisting in closing the valve - valve dynamics is a very interesting field
    A bigger valve will need a bigger hammer and spring to break the initial seal, potentially making double action trigger a tad heavy
    Give it a go, see what you get, it's a learning & growing experience - all part of life's rich tapestry as my favourite aunt always says
    ATB,
    Nick

Ill watch this thread with interest.
    hoplophobe

This sounds like a very interesting project

I look forward to seeing how you get on

On thinking about this further, I already have a Baikal Mak, so I could use that power unit, ( I can only shoot one gun at a time). Not sure what the power ouput is, but it certainly shoots a lead ball with a fair whack, so should be adequate.
    I shall do my best to keep my progress posted.

Ian

On thinking about this further, I already have a Baikal Mak, so I could use that power unit, ( I can only shoot one gun at a time). Not sure what the power ouput is, but it certainly shoots a lead ball with a fair whack, so should be adequate.
    I shall do my best to keep my progress posted.

Ian
    I think your best course of action at this point is to just get a firing prototype and worry about efficiency and power later on down the line when you have the basics sorted.

I too will be watching this thread with interest and hope you keep us all updated.