Thread: Relum Tornado

Relum Tornado

I've been given a 0.22" cal. Relum Tornado to clean the barrel. On inspection it seems to have a smooth-bore barrel. Is that so or is the rifling on this one so bunged-up with crud, I can't see the rifling. I've always been told not to use a phosphor-bronze brush on rifled airgun barrels but if it is a smooth-bore, it would be okay to do so ... or what? Thanks in advance for any/all replies. Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

relum.

it should be rifled barrel.if your going to strip it you can brush it but will be diff if not but still can be done.you will need to take out pellet loading tap to do it tho.i brush barrels if really bad.never noted and damage.but yours sounds bad im sure.not a deep rifling on them but better than some.nice rifle tho.i love them.oh will be harder to pull back out as the brush hasnt totaly left the b arrel i use a worn brush for such a situation.

It certainly needs to be stripped down to do a proper job throughout - the piston seal is almost certainly perished. Think I might not use a 0.22" brush in the barrel if it's going to be difficult to get in and out, I have a mop I can use instead. What tool can I use to undo the tap retaining 'nut', on the right-hand side of the gun? Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

ah, the old hungarian swamp donkey lol
    to remove the retainer i used a pair of circlip pliers that fitted quite nicely into the recesses or if you are very careful you could use an old punch if you have one or anything with a blunt end small enough and gently tap it round.
    may seem like a bit of a cowboys way but it works.
    atvb
    dean

relum

swamp donkey.love it.thats the way unless you have the correct tool like we dont .you can use a webley synthetic seal with allen bolt n nut to secure.meteor spring not too long or hard to compress as triggers are week.spring sleve of bikkie tin cut to size and end tabbs to secure.polish cocking slot ,piston slot so on.mine worked best with rws hobbies.also needid to shim pellet loading tap to get it right.very accurate solid 7 to 8 ft lb er.use a vice to tighten up joints if have become loose wobbly so on.must get me another to do.

Thanks for your help guys. I usually don't mind working on other people's airguns (providing I am familiar with the model) but this one is making me nervous. Mr. Original45, if the gun was mine and if we didn't live so far apart - I'd ask you to give it a full service (for a fee of course). Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon

relum

i have about 10 needing my attentions of my own in bits and have recently took up a slightly different target practice with bolts and to be honest have temp given up on air weapons .easily board you may say.the relum is easy .very simple.use it as a learning curve.if you were closer ide surely assist you.atb

Mmmmm, Tornado's, I love 'em!!!

As said, very easy to work on, they just need a bit of elbow grease, and a dollop of common sense!

you could try grrrs stripping guides at the start of the collectables sec.

I won't say "all" my fears were unfounded, 'cause I haven't taken it completely apart yet but the loading tap came off easily - I used a small pair fine nosed pliers to remove the 'nut.' Cleaned the barrel; brushed it, mopped it, and pulled through a few patches which now come out clean. The rifling seems to be okay. Overall, the barrel's condition appears usable, won't know for certain until the gun has sufficient power to attempt shooting a group, if only at short range.

Checked all the cocking lever pivot and attachment screws, which are okay, none seized or stuck in. So no excuses really, I should proceed and do a total strip, clean, relube and fit a new piston seal and spring(s).

It's up to the owner to decide if he wants to spend money on it or not. If he does, I'm prepared to attempt the work. If the gun were mine I would certainly refurbish the internals. It handles nicely I think and the stock condition is excellent.

Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    As an aside, sorry to hijack this but...

I have a tornado, untampered with, in good nick.

It had very slight surface rust which I cleaned with micromesh and gun oil (you could feel it but not really see it).

It came into us boxed for distruction (some fool threw the box away) but after much whining and talking at different levels I was cleared to take it home.

I need a space in my cabinet, and it seems a shame, so if anyone bungs me £50 for it I will donate any proceeds to H4H.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know