Thread: Brocock Concept Super Six .22

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jackal View Post
    Just wondering, are you planning on fitting a silencer of any kind? I'm getting myself a Parker Hale MM1 on Monday and a silencer adaptor too. [...] Concerning the silencer & all. The reason why the Parker Hale MM1 is budget reasons first and foremost. At £30 its a good price when compared to other makes and when tested in Airgun Shooter a year or so ago, via a Daystate, it was the second quietest out of ten silencers tested 61.7 dbA. The quietest was the Webley QGS at 61.6 dbA which is priced at, as much as it makes no difference, around the £50 mark the last time enquired. So the Parker Hale MM1 it is then. [...] Not sure about your Contour, but I find the muzzle crack of my Concept quite ruddy loud.
    I think it's a given that PCPs require silencers for hunting, and for back garden plinking for that matter, and the Contour is no exception. My silencer adapter was £9. I already had a compact Brocock silencer for an Aim-X pistol, which does about 85% of what a larger silencer will do on the Contour, but the adapter lets me fit my carbon-fibre Daystate unit, and this (unsurprisingly) gives better results, albeit at the price of a little more length and weight.

@Mr. Gain,

I bet your Contour XL looks rather dashing with that carbon-fibre Daystate fitted to it? I've always thought that particular model would look the part with various bits 'n' pieces added to it.

I just bought myself a silencer and adaptor for my Concept. Paid £9.99 for the adaptor and £32.50 for a Parker Hale MM1. The Parker Hale is fantastic at suppressing the Concept's muzzle crack. When live firing with the Parker Hale fitted, I just get a dull 'pfft'. After a few shots you forget theres any sort of sound coming out of it. Although quite heavy, I believe it was the heaviest by a big margin out of 10 other silencers on test in an issue of Airgun Shooter, it compliments the Concept Super Six's weight. When in standing or kneeling position with the rifle shouldered, it feels very nicely balanced and also with a Nikko Stirling 4-12x50 AO MountMaster fitted.

At just shy of 7 inches long and approximetaly 23mm in width, its not at all bulky and feels to be just at the right length and looks wise, it suits the rifle very well. Build wise, I can just say its built like a brick & I really wouldn't like a bonk over the head with it. The end cap feels stiff to undo but I'm not going to attempt to get inside it as I don't really feel the need to anyway, being fitted to a PCP I don't believe it would need to be stripped to be cleaned as one would have to with a rimfire, but if you have to, it comes supplied with an alignment tool to make life easier when putting it back together again. Overall I'm 100% chuffed with the Parker Hale - I'd recommend it to anyone.

With the MM1 silencer and adaptor fitted, the whole rifle now measures just under 43 inches long.

As regards filling, when topped up to 200 bar, the Contour takes around 10 shots to reach its velocity "plateau", so for optimal accuracy it's preferable to fill to around 175 bar, which will give around 20-25 good shots, depending on the pellet type used. Is this the case with the Concept too?
    I managed to find an hour or so to do some live shooting testing today. If I remember correctly the rifle wasn't full at 200 bar. I fired around 10 dry shots yesterday to test the Parker Hale & to show friends, they were very impressed I might add, topped the rifle back up and safely fired 2 live shots later on to test how quiet it'd be during live firing, even more impressive. So came today. With the MM1 now fitted, I had to re-zero my scope, this only took 3 live shots - was only a few clicks out.

First of I must admit, I enjoyed myself a bit too much today and I lost count of how many shots I fired, after all it was the first real time I've used the rifle for any length of time...But good fun neverless. On a guess I probably fired around 40-45 shots before they started to drop off. All shots were taken at just 10 yards, supposedly it was meant to be more about bar testing and shot counts rather than accuracy at various ranges but as I say I enjoyed myself a bit too much, so all of that went out of the window, my bad...But great fun. Anyway...I'm believing it was under the 200 bar fill up.

I really ought to take some notes next time.

Concerning the drop off shots, at 10 yards the drop off point went from centre of zero (of which was spot on) to just below and to the first mil dot. Even on the mil dot the shots were spot on. A very good barrel on this rifle.

I may have fired a few too many shots at this point and the cylinder was much as it makes no difference, simply put...As empty as you could get it. Doing this learnt me a valuable lesson, that lesson came when I had to fill up the rifle from empty using a FX 3 stage stirrup pump to 200 bar...It was a bit of a work out & I don't really want to do that again. But lesson learnt anyway. Once I get the shot counts and best bar fill ups sorted, I'm going to just top the rifle up every 30 shots or so, much easier.

So after getting the Concept filled up to exactly 200 bar, I fired a single shot at a target at the mere 10 yard range I set up and it hit spot on the centre of zero of my crosshairs just as the others did pre the 200 bar fill up.

Hopefully tomorrow, I'll have time to do a shot count and fill bar test & of course, take some notes. I'm expecting around 60+ shots as Brocock state one should get in a .22 Concept. So a bit of experimentation to do.

Mr. Gain, isn't the Contour XL stated to give around 40+ shots in .22? And which pellets have you tried and prefer to use?

When I'm almost done with my tin of Air Arms Diabolo Field 5.51mm's I think I'll try some JSBs.
    'It's possible. The point is getting away with it. And speaking as a professional, that's a very important consideration.'

Rather late in the day...

I've figured out what the XL designation means.

Xtra Long... (who'd have guessed!)

i.e. an extended reservoir for a higher shot count per fill. My Contour has the standard length cylinder -hence no XL markings, and a run of just 20-25 good shots.

Ah I see, I knew the XL stands for 'Extra Long', but I thought you had that version & not the other Contour. Hence why I was a little confused why yours didn't have the XL markings.

The XL has a bracket holding the barrel & cylinder in place too, like the Concept variants. Don't the Contours come with gun bag too?

Was just wondering, Mr.Gain. Do you use a dive bottle to top-up/fill-up your contour?

After using the FX stirrup pump a few times I've been looking into purchasing a 3 litre dive bottle. Although the FX is a great bit of kit, I'm topping up every 15-20 shots or so to save on effort which is fine by me, but theres always going to be times when I've fired 60+ shots without topping up on various occasions & its just a bit of a effort - hence showing growing interest in a dive bottle.

As I say, I'm looking for a 3 litre dive bottle (nothing huge or too heavy) but I'm not sure how many fill-ups I'd get from it (my Concept having a slim line 200BAR cylinder).

Many thanks.
    'It's possible. The point is getting away with it. And speaking as a professional, that's a very important consideration.'

Don't the Contours come with gun bag too?
    No. It would be nice if they did a dinky little bag for it though.

Was just wondering, Mr.Gain. Do you use a dive bottle to top-up/fill-up your contour?
    Yes. I dive as well, so it's a no-brainer really.

As I say, I'm looking for a 3 litre dive bottle (nothing huge or too heavy) but I'm not sure how many fill-ups I'd get from it (my Concept having a slim line 200BAR cylinder).
    If you see yourself shooting PCPs for years to come, then I'd invest in a full-size 10l or 12l cylinder as well as a portable jobbie: it's well worth the convenience. I've a pair of 300-bar 10s that keep me shooting for the whole autumn/winter period without a refill but with a little gun like the Contour I've been thinking it would be nice to have a handy 3l topper-upper to keep in the wagon or day sack.

as im looking for a nice small karbine,i thought your review was good and i will be ordering one shortly

I have a Brocock contour in .22,single shot with a Hawke Panorama scope and a hw silencer, it's deadly, one of the best rifles I have ever owned. Cheers
    Ps if you are ever thinking of stripping down my advise is don't bother they are a right pain in the backside.