Thread: Colt 1911 trigger problem

BigEars Guest

Colt 1911 trigger problem

When I start to release the trigger using single action, the hammer slips forward when I'm taking up the pressure, the gun can then be fired double action. It this something that can be fixed by a mechanical incompetent or is a trip to Brocock indicated?

One of mine does this now and again so I would like to know why too.
    I just curse and oil it -one of which seems to work.

Remove the top grip screw temporarily on the left hand side (the side that stays on the pistol). Try it again and see what happens.....

-Rob

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Davies View Post
    Remove the top grip screw temporarily on the left hand side (the side that stays on the pistol). Try it again and see what happens.....

-Rob

Bingo! You're a genius, thanks for that, I'm very grateful.

Sorry, further testing shows this has not cured the problem. Thanks anyway.
    Last edited by BigEars; 17-07-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Sorry for the slight delay, I've been away for a few days.

A common problem that I've seen with 1911s is the grip screw, or a burr on the inner part of its hole engages on the trigger bar, stopping it from dropping into place on SA - shortening the screw and/or deburring the hole usually fixes it.

At some point during the trigger action the bar needs to cross halfway across the grip screw hole, if it can't do that, single action shots will be random at best.

-Rob

BigEars Guest
    Hi Robert thanks for the reply, the hole and the screw seem fine. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago with my Rohm and that was wear related.

Unless you can think of wot else, it's off to Brocock in the morning.

No worries, it's just a shame you're so far away, because I'd have been more than happy to give the 1911 a once over if you were local. Incidentally, the 1911 is IMHO the easiest of the Umarex pistols to work on - you only need the one pair of hands!

Do us a favour, could you? Let us know how you get on and what the issue was.

Ta!

-Rob

I have 2 Umarex colts -the gloss black one has this problem and my new nickel one has a back strap safety that doesnt work.
    My Tanfoglio Witness 1911 has full blowback with two working safety catches.
    If you dont hold the backstrap in it wont fire.
    It cost me £100.
    It is also powerful and accurate.
    Made in Taiwan not Germany

Quote Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
    Hi Robert thanks for the reply, the hole and the screw seem fine. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago with my Rohm and that was wear related.

Unless you can think of wot else, it's off to Brocock in the morning.
    Alan what has happened to you ??? typing in text speak what ever next volunteering to be club chairman !!!!!
    AA S200T 10m , HW100T, Cometa 220, Diana 27, Original Mod 6, Gamo compact+center, Rohm twinmaster Top, S&W 586/4+6+8, Berretta 92 airsoft, Blinged crossman 2240, CP88 4", CO2 Uzi 6mm, Air arms Alfa proj .177, Drulov DU10 .177, HW 99s, Hammarelli AP20pro

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbill View Post
    Alan what has happened to you ??? typing in text speak what ever next volunteering to be club chairman !!!!!
    Should have read "owt else". But as you've kindly pointed ou,t I've just disqualified myself for high office, thank you for that, I will be eternally grateful.