Thread: Thunite Catapault V3 LED Torch Review

Thunite Catapault V3 LED Torch Review

Thrunite Catapult V3 LED torch Review
    This is a review of a Thrunite Catapult V3 LED torch I recently acquired to be used as a gun mounted hunting light with a quick release attachment so it can be used as a hand held search light for dropped quarry, path-finding etc.

It uses an XM-L LED which is the newer generation of LED’s designed for high output. In addition to a floody light output, it also has excellent reach as this is a large hand held torch and probably too big for use as a gun mounted option even though a tape switch option is available.
    It is a high output throw monster and has a big head size and deep reflector for this very reason as this equates to a tight beam hotspot to maximise throw.
    It puts out over 700 Lumen on high and that will give you a damned good idea of quarry species as well as plenty of flood for things on the periphery of your main beam. For close work it is not so good on high as it Thank you for ordering from Long Tall Sally.
    Your Order confirmation number is 626624 to start to blind you.
    All is not lost though because a very small twist of the head means that the light can be dropped from the high mode down to a low, med and High mode and then onto a strobe.
    You need to be sure your twisting the head in the right place because if not, all you will do is undo the head and reflector and expose the LED chipset.
    The torch comes with the head and tail cap as std and they also throw in a battery tube extender which goes in-between the head and the original tube. It does NOT go in-between the rear of the torch and the tail cap otherwise it wont work due to the anodising of the body tube. This means that the tail cap can be un-tightened and the torch cannot illuminate by accident.
    The tail cap is designed to stand. Even though it can, it isn’t a good idea to do so. The head is nearly 60mm diameter so it will topple easily especially if the 2nd tube is there.
    The build quality is again superb with a nicely engineered feel to it, good anodising and the grip from the machined knurling is brilliant if not over engineered.
    They do offer a tape switch which has a press button over-ride which in this case is a damned fine idea. Why – well because the tape switch is a three push to make style and the springs inserted mean you have to squeeze Very Hard indeed. If your looking for long range shots without forcing the blood out of your thumb or finger tips and influencing the shot……..well it is too stiff for the hunter who does not need to protect himself from accidentally illuminating his torch and getting shot as a result.
    The user interface on mine was a bit of a swine to get to grips with. I think something wasn’t screwed in quite tight enough as I had a difficult time getting it o cycle thru the option of levels. To the point where I sent it back. It worked fine for the seller and it was returned where it had improved but had not cleared itself. All seems to have settled down nicely now though and cycling through the outputs is very easy now. I did find latter that the internal collar in the tail cap with 2 small holes in for needle nose pliers’ was very very loose which is perhaps why it proved to be a learning curve. I would not expect issues with future equipment from this company.
    Out in the field, if your two handed, it is no problem. If it is gun mounted with extender tube on, you really want to make sure that the both hands are free to switch from the 4 setting in the lower level and the one in turbo.
    If you can gun mount then, then this adds weight and will change the balance of the rifle and as it is a 30 mm body tube (the norm being 25mm) mounting might be an issue with potential for turret clash or focus ring and side wheel.
    As an out of the car option, I would mount under the for end – possibly even on the barrel and make adjustments for POI shift with the scope. If your walking, then not having this on your gun will help.
    As the emitter is driven hard, there is a step down device to bring the turbo output under control if you start to cook it. If the temp goes above 120 degrees C, then it will automatically take a step down. This has not happened to ne yet
    Check out and decide what batteries you wish to use. I favour 18650 Li-Ions with circuit protection. You can use primary off the shelf CR123’s but in the UK they are a proper rip off so Google and the bay will be your friend and no mistake. For 18650 cells, I recommend AW make of batteries with a protection circuit.
    If you want to use other batteries then fine but check the manual as some will not be supported and could damage you or your equipment not to mention the risk of fire and explosion.
    The light is regulated so output will be constant throughout its discharge cycle. Rechargeable can go flat very suddenly so carry a spare or spares if you’re running the extension tube. The tube does not have to be used but this may well be at the expense of output and run time
    This is a high output light but it is a little bulky for gun mounting. It is however, not impossible. I would look at fixing to the front end of the rifle stock or on the side again with quick release tactical mounts though this may require some messing about to get it point where you need it.
    Build quality is excellent. Surefire is often used as a benchmark and a very good benchmark it is too. However, these lights offer very stiff competition and usually outperform Surefires when it comes to output alone. Surefire are favoured by military due to there ruggedness in military action and recoil from semi and full auto equipment.

This light is similarly robust but won’t see this level of shock and it is more than up to the task.
    I would happily recommend this light to anyone who wants a quality piece of hardware (that wont let them down) and that has back up from the manufacturer on the rare occasions that it might (lets be realistic about this). I certainly expect to be relying on this light years after the cheapo bay stuff has given up the ghost but its horses for courses. Bic Biro or Mont Blanc………….your money – your choice.

Filters for this unit would be good as in the lower 4 modes, you can use the tape switch to cycle through the output modes – low med high strobe by dabbing the tape switch buttons. To go to turbo, you have to twist the head and that is a reach forward and a decent grip. The scorpion’s output control is on the rear so friendlier in that regard. I am not sure if filters are available – I believe so but other makes do them and they might make one in the right diameter
    This light will easily deal with most air and rim-fire ranges and the beam will give you plenty of awareness when it comes to overshoot and backstop. Centre fire use is also a distinct possibility on the right rifle and calibre and the right field conditions.
    Long run times, max performance are what this light is about and it can be run on the single 18650 and this makes the length more manageable at least.

The mounting method…………..I have yet to decide on this myself. I would either go for a ring that offers a piccy/weaver mount atop or I would look at a piccy rail side mounted on the side of the stocks fore end but this is least favourite.
    Thanks to Anthony at www.flashaholics.com for supplying the kit. Good advice and next day delivery too.

UPDATE.....a 25mm body tube for 2x18650 cells is available making mounting much much easier. This is a must have purchase and will make the unit lighter too.
    Hope this was of interest

Steyr
    Last edited by Steyr; 16-10-2011 at 08:03 PM.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Reserved for piccies

How does this compare beam distance wise to a tiablo A10?

Quote Originally Posted by fox hunter View Post
    How does this compare beam distance wise to a tiablo A10?
    Sorry, not been around for a while so missed this. they are very different lights as the A10 runs on an R2 emitter which is good for a tight throwing beam. The catapault is an XM-L LED which has very high output and is also very throwy. I guess the A10 would probably appear more the thrower but the catapult will not be far behind but much wider and even illumination. Tight beam it's the tiablo. Outstanding panoramic with much better throw than STD then the catapult.