Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What rifle to chose?

What rifle to chose?

Hi all,

Haven't shot targets since school and was wondering what was a good, economical, rifle for 10m match.

Any advice most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Starting 10 metre

Hi

Feinwerkbau 300s or 300su should be able to pick one up for £200 to £300

Jim

10m match rifle

These are good
    http://www.air-arms.co.uk/products_MPR.html
    If interested Keep an eye on sales I will be selling mine in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenuts View Post
    Hi all,

Haven't shot targets since school and was wondering what was a good, economical, rifle for 10m match.

Any advice most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

hanks

Thanks for the advice.

Both look good, will have a look when I get access to the sales section.

Is the air arms gas powered and if so do you need extra kit. When I last used a target rifle it was lever powered so not really up with the gas.

Mike

300s

Hi I own a 300s and our club gun is the Air Arms model you've mentioned.

Plus Points for the 300s
    brilliant trigger ( possibly as good as you'll ever find on a gun )
    Easy cocking cycle.
    Lasts forever with no maintenance and no overheads.
    Keeps it's value.
    Cheap for a match rifle.

Minus Points for 300s
    Heavy
    recoil mechanism can be irritating as the rear sight travels backwards

Plus point for Air Arms
    Light weight so good for young / weak shooters.
    Cheap
    Probably as accurate

Minus points for Air Arms
    Trigger ok but not the best
    Tricky loading as bolt akward and pulls apart accidentelly
    Not so cheap if you don't have £150 for a gas bottle on top.

If it was me I'd get a 2nd hand 300s if I was on a budget.

Air Arms MPR

Air Arms MPR
    This is one mans opinion with obviously not much experience with the AirArms MPR Rifle.
    Here are some others
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...R-Target-Rifle

Here's a picture of one with the new blonde stock
    http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/zo...?model_id=2171
    Last edited by shootingmad; 25-07-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Ask around at your club and have a try with other member's rifles.

That said, FWB 300s are a fairly solid starter rifle and will do you until you've done a bit and decided if you want to spend more on a PCP or something
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

MPR=multi purpose, so nót specifically 10m match. It'll always loose points there compared to 10m specific guns. (ergo's, weight, cocking, etc).
    Depending on yr $$$ and what system you want (spring, ssp, etc), there's LOTS of choice. Only advise I can give you, is TRY before you buy!!
    Everyone if different, what suits me, might not suit you at all!
    ATB,
    yana

Thanks again guys

Thanks again, think it is probably best to take Yana's advice and try a few but the FWB does look tempting.

On another note I have noticed that people buy guns off eGun, is this a possibility given that most are being sold from Germany.

Thanks

Mike

The Walther LGR is one that does not get a lot of mention and yet is one of the finest and knocked all the springers into 2nd place in the 70's..

It is a single stroke pneumatic and has a great trigger it also has scope mount grooves and an accessorie rail under stock for a bipod for bench rest...

I use mine from 6yd out to 25yd and it performs spot on,if you can find one expect to pay £200 to £250 depending on the type of stock...

I also have an MPR which I find top notch too and is of course upto date technology.

I also have a 300su and a Original Mod 75 they are all good and nice rifles to shoot so as folk say if you can get down to a club and try some out to see what suits you...

Also have fun doing it as nice to try out many different makes....

In that price bracket you should be able to find a reasonable Feinwerkbau 600 single stroke as well.

The slightly improved 601 model will probably cost a bit more, but both are worth testing if you get the chance - and there are some good buys to be had out there at the moment - so you never know!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

10m gun

I use the FWB 300S Junior which is lighter and better balanced (IMO) than the 300S Match. Same action, but could be a problem for the larger frame. Best source for cheap spring 10m rifles is the German website egun.de I have imported a number of very good 10m rifles from dealers on this site, never had a problem. You do have to register and it helps if you have a little German language. The site works (just) in English but you can only register and buy in German! A tip...find the e-mail addresses for the most used dealers (there is a rating system like fleabay) and e-mail them in English, apologising for your lack of German and explain what you are looking for. The FWB 300 is virtually bombproof...the makers claim it is good for 1/2 million shots with no maintenance. Lots of the German clubs have 300's to sell as they move on to the PCP. Postage by courier was no problem but I read the other day that DHL will no longer ship air rifles from Germany.

Mike95

Hi Mike - you are right, the German postal system will no longer handle anything related to air weapons - not even spare parts, and as DHL is part of this same group the total ban applies to them as well.

This has already made it much more difficult to buy from eGun and many sellers are not prepared to seek out alternative carriers.

I just lost the P40 I have been looking for as the seller "has more important things to do" than to waste time looking for a truck that will bring it to the UK at a reasonable price!

Even the manufacturers like Feinwerkbau have been hit by this action, so anything air weapon related could be a lot slower or more expensive getting here from the countries normally served by DHL.

Lets hope they find alternative carriers who are willing to take on this work very soon!
    Last edited by zooma; 02-09-2011 at 10:18 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

FWB 300s

Have owned the full size version and it was just fantastic. I loved the weight of the gun as I found it helped in keeping it steady. Keep an eye out as some externally rougher ones come up for sale for as little as £150. Thats a once top end 10 meter rifle, top end trigger and sights.

Ban on shipping air rifles

Makes you wonder why the **** we are in the EU...perhaps not for much longer!