Thread: Was I Lucky to find this Classic Target Scope from the 1960's (I think?)

Was I Lucky to find this Classic Target Scope from the 1960's (I think?)

I had been looking for an original target rifle scope to fit to my heavy barrelled BSA Mk1 International for several years.
    A Tasco #707 16x40mm Target & Bench Rest scope is what I found.
    I picked it up at an auction for £22-00 yesterday complete with it's screw in end caps, lens shade it's in it's original box with all the original packaging all in good condition.
    Just got to zero it to the rifle and see what results I can achieve with it.
    A couple of photographs of the set up.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/fronter...7627186205604/

Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    I had been looking for an original target rifle scope to fit to my heavy barrelled BSA Mk1 International for several years.
    A Tasco #707 16x40mm Target & Bench Rest scope is what I found.
    I picked it up at an auction for £22-00 yesterday complete with it's screw in end caps, lens shade it's in it's original box with all the original packaging all in good condition.
    Just got to zero it to the rifle and see what results I can achieve with it.
    A couple of photographs of the set up.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/fronter...7627186205604/
    Your not kidding lucky find!
    If it's not broke don"t fix it!
    http://www.vintageairguns.co.uk/

I don't want to teach my grandmother to suck eggs,but you should mount that beautiful scope on the barrel only, not on barrel and receiver.
    A friend has one of these scopes, never been on a rifle, great find.
    Peter

Hi. Peter
    I just stuck it on the gun quickly, I found out I it was wrong when I nearly got lynched by some of the members when I took the gun with the scope still incorrectly mounted out of it’s case.
    I have since changed the mounting to barrel only at the range tonight.
    Not having the instructions caused me a few problems as I had difficulty getting a sight picture until I found that there are two focus adjustments one in the normal position and another beyond the parallax adjustment.
    I have not finished zeroing the rifle with the scope but it will now shoot a five shot half inch group which I will adjust to the bull next visit to the range.
    At least I found out where the bullets were going as it's difficult to bore sight a martini action.
    It will take me a while to get used to it as the weight of scope and gun (must be well over 15lbs although I have not weighed it) is currently not pleasant to use so I will need to get a rest of some sort as it's not enjoyable to use.
    Any suggestions at to what type of rest to look out for, as I have never done any shooting with a rest before.

well done...

your face cheeks must ache with grinning, what auction was that? well done my friend tis a scope of all scopes
    Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.
    Elbert Hubbard

It was a general sale at Rayleigh in Essex.
    I must say I expected quite a bit of competition to get it but the only person bidding against me pulled out at £20 I still didn't expect to get it as I was sure the reserve would have been much higher but it was for sale without a reserve!
    If you are careful at auctions you can pick up real bargains, I got my Musgrave 7.62mm target rifle with a 27.5inch Ferlach barrel, complete with iris target sights for £86 it will need a new barrel in a couple seasons time but who's complaining it will hold a better group than my personnel group so it's not a handy cap.