Thread: Help dating and valuing a BSA rifle

Help dating and valuing a BSA rifle

I've just been offered a Linccoln Jeffries patent BSA rifle. It's got a bit of surface rust on it but not bad and the stock has a few old knocks and someones initials stamped into it. The only number I can see is No9219 on the l/h side of the trigger block. It's in 177 and shoots quite well.
    Can someone please help with a rough date and a rough price to offfer for it as I don't want to offend or rip off its current owner who is an elderly neighbour of mine.
    Thanks. Paul.

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Paul,
    According to a reference book, this is a 4th batch BSA rifle made between October / November 1906. Has it got "the BSA air rifle" impressed on the cylinder as it should, or "H the Lincoln" ?.....as parts are interchangeable, and many guns have a serial number which does not tell the full story without more details.

Anyway, if 100% complete and working with no major damage, it depends on condition, this can vary the value by 100% - 200%, so a couple of photos would be a great help here. Also, if you want to be totally fair to the old boy, and assuming it is a fair to good one, then £170-220 is what you normally would have to pay for an early gun like this.

(this price assuming patina not rust, and complete / original).

Get some piccies up for a better idea!

Thanks for the infomation, it's got the piled arms stamped into the barrel and BSA air rifle Lincoln Jeffries patent made by the Birmingham Small Arms Company on the cylinder.
    I'm having a big change of heart though and thinking more about giving it a good clean up for him and giving it back so he can decide what to do with it.
    It's a nice example and the only part that's missing is one of the trigger guard screws.
    I've just been looking through yourr photos and it look near enough the same as your 2nd edition but doesn't have the pistol grip on the stock, it's cleaning up to the same sort of condition as yours too. I'm looking forward to seeing his face when I take it back to him now.Thanks again for the info.
    Paul.
    Last edited by paul1969; 02-08-2011 at 10:52 AM.