Thread: 3 Band Indian Pattern Lee Enfield

3 Band Indian Pattern Lee Enfield

Hello,

Posting this for my brother...

He has one of the above, that he bought for re-enactment purposes, but has now moved on to WW2 things.

From the investigation he has done, he thinks it dates from around 1890 and has been seized in a police action at some time, due to the markings on it.

He has never fired it, and doesn't have any info on when it was last fired.

He is looking to sell it and is interested in getting an approx value for it.

Thanks in Advance,

Andy.

pics please

Will take some pics tonight and add them to the thread.
    When is it Bell Target time again........

Hi Andrew
    I would put it up for around the £200 mark due to its condition and that it is Indian made.

May be worth posting on www.gunstar.co.uk

cheers
    Nick

With the split to the stock and poor repairs to the forend I reckon you'd be lucky to get £125 for it. This assumes it's a pre 1939 made example
    If it's if it's a post 1939 made copy then Section 58(2) doesn't apply and it needs to go on ticket. fwiw I've only ever seen the Made in India or India stamps on the lockplates on post war examples.

Hi Andy,
    If the musket is Indian then it must be proofed before it can be sold as a "gun". If it is not proofed and you sell it as a firearm you will face prosecution for selling an un-proofed firearm.
    Without proof you can only sell it as a collectors item or a wall-hanger.

In the 80's there was so much local trouble in India that the Indian Police converged on the villages and confiscated all of the guns. The number that is stamped on the barrel indicates that it could have been one of these. The number was also painted on the butt. The Police marked them this way for their own records.

Worldwide arms bought a large amount of these and sold them as collectors items. It is possible your brother's gun is one of these.
    If it is then it must be put through the proof house before it can be sold as a shootable gun.

I would suggest that you brother contacts people he knows from the re-enactor group he was in and sells it to one of them as a collectors item.

I cannot put a price on the gun, but I do think that £125 would not be unreasonable. It is worth that for the stock and the lock.

I hope this helps

All the best

Thanks for all the information. I will pass it onto my brother and let him decide how and were to advertise it.

Andy.
    When is it Bell Target time again........