Thread: Advice needed on a PCP

Advice needed on a PCP

I have decided to take the plunge and get a PCP. Planned uses will include General Plinking, FT, HFT, Hunting Crow, Squirrel, rabbit, rat, etc. The Brands available are Falcon, Air Force, Air Arms, and Theoben. This isn't the greatest time to do this due to the big difference between the dollar and sterling, but what the heck, I want to try out a system I don't currently have.
    I only recently discovered an air gun outlet just down the road a piece. The forementioned brands are what they stock. I don't know weather I need multi-shot capability or not, but the S400/S410 system has caught my eye. FAC type is no problem for me but what would be good to start out with. Thanks in advance for any input.

Gary C Guest
    Hey matey
    If you want lightweight go Falcon or AA. AA is more refined but a bit more Exy
    If you need lots of shots go Theoben

zooankski Guest
    i would go for the s410 as the s400 cannot be made multi shot but the 410 can be fitted with single pellet tray.
    Excellent bits of kit and cant rate it high enough.
    At fac levels you wont get many shots from either of the above and really want to think about going the theoben route-i own a .22 FAC MFR running 26 ftlb and get more than 50 full power shots from it (admittedly the regulator has been taylored) but it hits hard and is just as accurate as my s400.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Get the Rapaid mate, loads of shots, power and accuracy, and really easy to work on. If the $$$ to too much, get the AA 410, but not the "E" version as it is too power curvey and long - regular length 410 will still give approx 30 "good" shots at 26 FP with JSBs - around 875 fps

HTH - JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Checked the hunting regulations for Texas and it appears I can't use a pellet rifle(even FAC) for squirel, but it is okay for non protected species. The Air Arms are looking better and better, just from a cost view. The Theoben looks good but I got sticker shock when I saw cost.

Get the Rapid, you won't regret it. You get what you pay for, and the Rapid might not be cheap, but it's well worth the money and will give you a lifetime's pleasure. The Rapid is a classic, and I wouldn't part with mine for anything. Well maybe a Holland and Holland Royal or one of your serious pistols, but the former's unlikely and the latter's illegal, so I'll stick with the Rapid

I have owned Falcons in the past and they are really good. I currently own a Theoben MFR(12flb) which is a nice quality rifle.

Yes, PCP air rifles are very expensive for what they are….my rim-fire and centre-fire rifles are a bargain compared to the cost of my MFR. It would be interesting to know how many UK shooters would bother with plink, plink air guns if we had the same easy access to the range of “proper rifles” that you enjoy out in the Wild West.

The Theoben reaks quality. Here is my problem, For the cost of a Theoben and accessories(good quality scope, rings, etc) I can buy a .50 BMG rifle. BTW, thanks for the input guys, y'all know air rifles better than anyone I know, I've learned a lot on this site.