Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitting a Scope to a 300S and 601.

Fitting a Scope to a 300S and 601.

I would like to find and fit a suitable scope to my 300S, and if possible use it on my 601 now and again too.

The rifle and scope combination will be used at 10 meters and 25 meters mainly - does anyone have any experience fitting a telescopic scope to either of these two match rifles, and is there anything to look out for?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I have scoped a number of FWB300's.

Main things to watch for is some older 300's have very short scope rails so can be awkward to mount with proper eye relief, later models with the longer rials are dead easy. The other thing to watch is the objective bell obstructing the loading port.

One of the compact scopes that can be picked up might assist with both of the above mentioned issues.

The 601 I think will be a trickier proposition.

I had FWB300S on which I tried my scopes. I used it for only few shots to see how does it perform with a scope. In general, avoid big and heavy scopes because you may notice recoil which affects your accuracy. Besides, mounting a scope changes overall balance of the rifle, which you may not like. However, I'm going to try small scope on my Diana 75 rifle soon (different recoiless system than FWB300).
    Current project: Haenel 311

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    The 601 I think will be a trickier proposition.
    Needs duct tape Don't tape down the pump lever at the same time!!

On a more sensible note, I don't think you could scope the 601 as you need access to the loading port - the scope would have to be far too far forward to see through, or so far back you couldn't get your head down to the stock.

I suppose a forward-mounted pistol scope might work..... but why do you want to cheat, anyway?
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!

Swarovski Acoustic Sights have been fitted to P70s that are of similar geometry. But it involved alteration to the loading gate cover. Not something you would wish to do without good reason.

Rutty

Sportsmatch make a one piece mount for short rails like on the early 300s. It works well and moves the scope forward so you have enough eye relief.

I have one on one of my 300s rifles. Type OP12C

Here http://www.scopemounts.co.uk/air_rifles.html

For the longer rail the standard one piece works fine.

http://www.cones-stuff.co.uk/Feinwerkbau%20300s.htm

A shorter scope helps with loading as already suggested.

HTH

Mark
    Last edited by Cones; 04-08-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks for your help and thoughts - I have never had a scope on a rifle before, but after reading "Successful Rifle Shooting" by David Parish where it suggested good use could be made of a scope to help with some aspects of match shooting techniques I thought I would buy one and give it a try.

To be honest, I always fancied trying a scope so this gave me the slightest of excuses to find the most suitable one to fit my 300S so I can have a "play". I think I had best forget about fitting one to my 601 as it does not seem like it will be practical.

I can understand the comments about choosing a shorter scope to avoid blocking the access to the loading port on the 300S, and it looks like the one fitted to Marks 300S is about as long as it would be practical to go ( what is that scope? - it looks good).

No cash has been spent yet, so if anyone has any specific types ( or magnification sizes) they have found works well on this rifle please let me know.
    Last edited by zooma; 14-08-2011 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by defblade View Post
    On a more sensible note, I don't think you could scope the 601 as you need access to the loading port - the scope would have to be far too far forward to see through, or so far back you couldn't get your head down to the stock.
    Apparently FWB did make a scope mount for the 600 series, but the chances of finding one now would be slim!

If link works here is said mount:

Last edited by rockdrill; 15-08-2011 at 08:48 AM.

I have a 300s Junior, a 300s Match and a 300 SU.
    I have scoped all of them, the junior was terrible the match not much better,BUT the SU is dream to shoot, I shoot 20 metre bench rest with it and am in the very high nineties. As said before I think it's alot to do with the balance of the rifle and plinking down the garden is good fun. The scope is only a Simmonds 4-12x40 on 10 mag and this gives enough room to load.

HTH
    Charles

mrto

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I would like to find and fit a suitable scope to my 300S, and if possible use it on my 601 now and again too.

The rifle and scope combination will be used at 10 meters and 25 meters mainly - does anyone have any experience fitting a telescopic scope to either of these two match rifles, and is there anything to look out for?
    Hi,I have just bought a FWB C60 with the intention of having it converted to PCP for field target use.I believe the C60 and 601 are identical apart from the power source.The C60 can be scoped using high mounts and the existing loading gate replaced by an abbreviated one that was available for this purpose from Feinwerkbau.ATB.

Hi,

The 300s scope on my photo is a 3-9x40 Nikko Stirling Silver Crown.

I have a smaller 6 mag Leupold on my other 300s and this has better clearance for loading.

I don't have any pictures of that one at the moment though.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks for the ID on your scope Mark, and the other info.

Anyone know where I can buy one of the "high mounts" to fit the 601? I had given up on that idea, but now I can see how it works it would be good to find a mount to fit the 601 as well.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    IIRC FWB did make a scope mount for the 600 series, but the chances of finding one now would be slim!

If link works here is said mount:

Hi Rockdrill,

This is looks like the best scope mounting solution for my 601 - do you know who actually made this mount or who stocked it or sold it by any chance?

Google search has come up with nothing helpful so far to help me find a seller of a mount like this, so if I can find out who made it I could try them and ask if they still have any available.

Thanks for your help - the photograph is very helpful

As said in my posting the information I found on it (very little) said it was an FWB factory mount. Looking at the mount, it appears very much like a Sportsmatch product in its style of construction and finish.

Here's a thread from the american yellow forum showing a number of 10m rifles fitted with scopes, including a number of FWB's. It may give you some ideas.

FWB also did a custom mount for the RT versions of the 601 with the from mount fitting around the objective bell of the scope rather than the scope tube. As said above it's highly unlikely you'll find one of them.