Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
I have found a problem with fitting this sight to my 300S.

As I "settle" on the cheekpiece of the rifle I see the cross hairs in the sight moving up and down, as well as left and right with every slight movement of the head.

I believe this is called parrallex, and there is no adjustment for this on the Whitetail 1.5-5 x 20mm, so it looks like I need to find a sight more suited to the closer distance of 10 metres, or find one that can have it's parrallex adjusted for use at this relatvely short distance.

Perhaps this is the job of the "distance" ring on a scope when fitted ?

The air rifle Running Boar shooters must have found suitable scopes to work at this distance - any ideas what works best at 10 metres?
As its not in my "interest " I never bothered to look at this thread in 2012, but for some reason have just read it (only 4 years late!), as a 10 mt Running boar shooter back in the old days (I sold my RB Walther LGR to Rockdrill a few years back, do you still have it?) the 10 mt scope correction for paralax was always a problem, many did not understand and just put up with it, us perfectionists corrected it! The simple way was with a 0.1 diopter lens in the front of the scope, clamped by the front ring and put in between a couple of "o" rings.

And before you say there is no such thing as a .1 diopter lens, we had then (many years ago!) a tame lens grinder who also had a stock of plain lens's, he would go through them and often find one with 0.1 tolerance which he would put to one side for us, and next time we wanted one he had a stock from which to draw and grind the dia to fit our scopes.

The Walther LGR Running boar was suberb, a proper factory rifle built in very small numbers, it used a thumbhole stock and wooden buttplate so it slid in nicely. I used a fixed 4 power scope from Nickel (or something like that), with a single post (you needed a mortgage to buy the twin post RB scopes), 4 power was the max allowed in the rules for 10 mts, and the dia was limited as well.

The target was a scaled down 50 mt Running boar, affectionately called "running rat" by the officianado's, I still have one, they are a little work of art, now its boring round targets (politically incorrect in the ISSF to shoot even paper animals!), its a very difficult event, but great fun.

Good shooting
Robin