Thread: Advice Most Welcome.

Advice Most Welcome.

Hello to all. I would like some advice as regards my FWB 300s front element sight. I only have one plastic element and was looking to purchase a set with various sized holes but I am unsure of what size would fit my rifle. The one I have at present measures approximately 15mm diameter but I dont think this is the correct size due to the fact that I have to position by eye the element in the centre of the front sight holder and carefully screw the holder to tighten onto the plastic element and then adjust the rear sight for accuracy. I have wondered now that if this front element was to get knocked I could be aiming 2 or 3mm off. The front sights are I believe the original and they seem to be riveted to the barrel. In my opinion I think the front plastic element should be a fair bit larger in diameter to give a snugger fit and without having to guess by eye if it is centred in the front sight holder. I am fitting the plastic element in the slot which I hope is correct. Thanks for any knowledgeable that you maybe able to provide.

It will be an 18mm element you are after, look on the bay for sets.

HTH

Charles

Thumbs up

Many thanks Charles.

I only have one plastic element and was looking to purchase a set with various sized holes
    Don't, you only need 2 or 3 elements at the most. Save your money.

I have to position by eye the element in the centre of the front sight holder and carefully screw the holder to tighten onto the plastic element and then adjust the rear sight for accuracy.
    Not very satisfactory, but if you only use one element and you ensure that it is securely screwed in place you could live with it. However, plastic elements should have a small rebate so that they may be located in the securing ring before it is screwed into the foresight tunnel. Advice on the FWB parts and accessories may be obtained here.

You don't say what discipline you are shooting, but for 10mtr, I would suggest an element no smaller than 4.3 to start with. Use the plastic ones to experiment but when you have decided the size you need then consider investing in a Centra High End Glass Element. They are expensive, but they are worth it.

HTH
    Rutty

Assuming the original FWB 300 caps are in place on the foresight then you can put a 17mm plastic forsight in the cap nearest your eye, alternatively you can fit a 18mm plastic foresight inside the front of the tunnel (far end away from you).....the chamfer always points to the target.

No matter what, correctly fitted they should self centre anyway!

UK Neil on here makes them, if you pm him he will possible fix you up.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Thanks to the advice folks. I have my front elements and the 18mm fit very well, I have fitted them in the very front part of the sight and wondered what size anyone would recommend that would suit me as a novice 6 yard sportsman.

If you have a look at these 3 old threads you should find that most of your questions will be answered:

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

Rutty

Sight elements

Hi,

We do 7 yard bell target shooting at a 3/8th of an inch hole most of our club are shooting within the 3.8, 4.0, and 4.2, try a 4.2 first and see how you get on.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by wilbydoughboy View Post
    Thanks to the advice folks. I have my front elements and the 18mm fit very well, I have fitted them in the very front part of the sight and wondered what size anyone would recommend that would suit me as a novice 6 yard sportsman.
    There are teams in the Nton area see Belltarget.com

Thumbs up

Many thanks for the advice fellow shooters. I tried the 4.2 size element and I had a vast improvement on club night hitting 9 bulls from 12 shots where as with my older 2.5 element I would have been doing well to have hit 3 or 4 from 12 shots.