Thread: Cleaning Shooting jackets

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Cleaning Shooting jackets

Some while back some one asked how to clean shooting jackets and pant, since then I've been lucky enough to pick up a s/h very expensive leather and canvas jacket that the original owner must have stolen my sizes for as it was a perfect fit, it was cheap but filthy!
    It had to be cleaned and I started with scrubbing it inside and out, canvas, leather, and suede with warm water with fairy liquid in it and then sponging off the soapy water, and then left hung up to dry naturaly. Touch of leather food on the leather and the result was remarkable it has come up like new, it took a couple of sessions to get off the worst but it is now spotless, canvas, leather and suede, and I did the rubber sure grip as well just for good measure.
    As a bonus the process also stiffens up the canvas, result! Have since done another similar jacket with the same end result.
    Good and clean Shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

How much did it affect the stiffness of the jacket?

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Nothing massive but it was a little improvement. I doubt if it would be significant, or as a process to do regularlyto stiffen it and I think if you want to just stiffen yours there are demon agents on the market that will do that.
    As I did not expect it to do anything other than clean it I was a little surprised and left with the " I'm sure that's stiffer now feeling". Nothing lost if you just give it a try, I got the canvas well wet.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Nothing massive but it was a little improvement. I doubt if it would be significant, or as a process to do regularlyto stiffen it and I think if you want to just stiffen yours there are demon agents on the market that will do that.
    As I did not expect it to do anything other than clean it I was a little surprised and left with the " I'm sure that's stiffer now feeling". Nothing lost if you just give it a try, I got the canvas well wet.
    Robin
    Thanks for the tip Robin - I am looking for a shooting jacket and feel that I can now also consider a used s/h one - even if it needs some cleaning!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.