Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA Cadet Front Stock Screws being manufactured for me

BSA Cadet Front Stock Screws being manufactured for me

I am getting some 7/32" 28TPI BSF bolts made this week by a local clockmaker.

I have purchased a die specifically for the job.

Please let me know if you would like a pair.

They will be domed cheese head 9.0mm diameter

7/8 Inch shaft length. They will not fit the Cadet Major as far as I know?

The chap will true up and then lathe down a larger screw and then thread it.

This will all have to be done by hand one screw at a time so it won´t be mass-production prices...

Not sure on the price yet but I think they will be 7 quid a pair posted UK

Chamber when they have them charge 7.73 EACH plus postage...

The more I get made the cheaper they will be per unit.

Cheers
    Last edited by MattyBoy; 07-08-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

You should try your local fastner supplier, 25p ea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Dipple View Post
    You should try your local fastner supplier, 25p ea.
    Perhaps you can send me a couple and I'll send you 50p...
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

stock screws

recently had a laugh at the price of stock screws on chambers site,and for less than chambers wanted for two screws/postage, i bought 50 stainless steel hex head,from screwfix direct. [m5-12mm] is size.fit most weihrauch.

I searched ad nauseam for a supplier of 7/32" 28TPI BSF threaded cheese heads and could not find any

My clock maker has made up a screw from a die I purchased but the screw won't fit the gun

2 people on here told me that the treads for the screws were this gauge but it seems they are not?

Perhaps different Cadets have different sizes?

Very frustrating - and expensive

when I need screws it involves a 26mile round trip so perhaps more than 25p each. My supplier is Norton Fasteners in Letchworth Herts. They are very helpfull, and have always identified the thread pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Dipple View Post
    when I need screws it involves a 26mile round trip so perhaps more than 25p each. My supplier is Norton Fasteners in Letchworth Herts. They are very helpfull, and have always identified the thread pitch.
    Thanks Terry I will bear them in mind

1/4 BSF (8/32") is the smallest common size understandably and these are available from everywhere you can think of.

Why a manufacturer of a gun would choose to go that small step down from the common 8/32" to the little used 7/32" baffles me somewhat

Many ( if not most ) gunmakers did it. I formed the opinion that it was to prevent you repairing their products with readily available off the shelf stuff.
    I find a common size on guns is .203" (13/64") diameter. This is just .015" smaller than the 7/32" under discussion, and is a non-standard size, thus necessitating return to or spares from the maker. Unless you are a toolmaker! Also, BA threads are not uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro-Express View Post
    Many ( if not most ) gunmakers did it. I formed the opinion that it was to prevent you repairing their products with readily available off the shelf stuff.
    I find a common size on guns is .203" (13/64") diameter. This is just .015" smaller than the 7/32" under discussion, and is a non-standard size, thus necessitating return to or spares from the maker. Unless you are a toolmaker! Also, BA threads are not uncommon.
    Well the 7/32 thread that my chap has run up is too tight in the gun so maybe it is this 13/64

I too hold the same opinion that it's to make you spend more money

Just spoken to my chap who will now grind a small piece off the open gap in the die to enable it to be closed down even further.

I gave him a screw out of my 1949 Major and this fits the die - but loosely! This seems to bear out the 13/64 theory! Crafty beggers...
    Last edited by MattyBoy; 16-08-2011 at 02:43 PM.

screws

would it not be quicker to weld/fill holes retap in metric /or more common size.

Quote Originally Posted by basa View Post
    would it not be quicker to weld/fill holes retap in metric /or more common size.
    That should baffle the next owner!

Quote Originally Posted by basa View Post
    OUCH!

You heathen!

This is going to be a near-minter so I would hate to abuse it in that way

You could, of course, bite the bullet and just buy the right ones from Chambers and do away with all the pissin about!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    You could, of course, bite the bullet and just buy the right ones from Chambers and do away with all the pissin about!
    They have never had them in stock in my 2 or 3 years of using Chambers and I do check every week...

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    They have never had them in stock in my 2 or 3 years of using Chambers and I do check every week...
    Internet check or speaking with one of the guys??
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!