Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA Cadet Front Stock Screws being manufactured for me

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Internet check or speaking with one of the guys??
    One must be able to trust the accuracy of the Internet stock listing...

I don't like TALKING to people

If they had been listed I might have bitten the bullet; but as it is I now have a master craftsmen horologist who hand-makes clocks worth thousands spending his time knocking up some screws
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    One must be able to trust the accuracy of the Internet stock listing...

I don't like TALKING to people

If they had been listed I might have bitten the bullet; but as it is I now have a master craftsmen horologist who hand-makes clocks worth thousands spending his time knocking up some screws
    1. Bullcrap!.... It's a bit much to expect small companies, with constantly changing stocks to be able to instantly update their internet stock. (And, with Chamber's machining facilities, I wouldn't have been surprised if they hadn't said to you they could run a couple off soon for you.) you'll have people believing that Midways carry all the stock they advertise, next!

2. Maybe people don't like talking to you??! Biggest issues in this world could easily be solved with good communication.

3. Buying the screws, even at Chamber's prices, would certainly be cheaper than paying a Master craftman's rate!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

1. Bullcrap!.... It's a bit much to expect small companies, with constantly changing stocks to be able to instantly update their internet stock. (And, with Chamber's machining facilities, I wouldn't have been surprised if they hadn't said to you they could run a couple off soon for you.) you'll have people believing that Midways carry all the stock they advertise, next!

2. Maybe people don't like talking to you??! Biggest issues in this world could easily be solved with good communication.

3. Buying the screws, even at Chamber's prices, would certainly be cheaper than paying a Master craftman's rate!
    Bullcrap? Easy matey you're sounding like a British Ex-pat distributor in Nigeria that I used to have to deal with...

I was JOKING - you know - tongue-in-cheek and all that?

Try keeping out of the sun
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Bullcrap? Easy matey you're sounding like a British Ex-pat distributor in Nigeria that I used to have to deal with...

I was JOKING - you know - tongue-in-cheek and all that?

Try keeping out of the sun
    Aye, Nigeria, Angola, Cote d'Ivoire, anywhere in West Africa, same-same!

Sun, Sun, been here one week so far haven't seen the sun, overcast every day!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Aye, Nigeria, Angola, Cote d'Ivoire, anywhere in West Africa, same-same!

Sun, Sun, been here one week so far haven't seen the sun, overcast every day!
    It'll no doubt appear soon

Have fun

Cheers

If 7/32 (0.21875") is a bit big, are you sure it's not a #12 UNF (0.216" x 28 tpi) or even a 1BA (0.2087" x 28.22tpi) thread?

This site has a useful thread ID chart http://mdmetric.com/tech/tict.htm
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

screws

Quote Originally Posted by Tantomurata View Post
    If 7/32 (0.21875") is a bit big, are you sure it's not a #12 UNF (0.216" x 28 tpi) or even a 1BA (0.2087" x 28.22tpi) thread?

id say its deffo one of them sizes,or a little bigger,or smaller,

Quote Originally Posted by basa View Post
    id say its deffo one of them sizes,or a little bigger,or smaller,
    Thanks for the excellent input friend

Quote Originally Posted by Tantomurata View Post

Thanks for the info - my chap has a lot of the thread charts etc.

If it is 1BA I´ll go bananas as he has taps and dies from 0-BA down through to 6- or 8-BA and he has not suggested this possibility to me. He must have checked it himself, found it did not fit and not said anything???......

Thanks Terry I will bear them in mind

1/4 BSF (8/32") is the smallest common size understandably and these are available from everywhere you can think of.

Why a manufacturer of a gun would choose to go that small step down from the common 8/32" to the little used 7/32" baffles me somewhat
    Matt

From memory Cadet screws are a fairly standard size, you might just need to tighten the die down.... that or invest in a lathe

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Matt

From memory Cadet screws are a fairly standard size, you might just need to tighten the die down.... that or invest in a lathe

Rich
    Hi Rich, hope all is well

My chap will tighten it down after cutting/grinding a bit out of the split and try again.

I thought it would be a 30 minute job and it's turned into a saga

"All the glorious trials of youth, dear boy" as Uncle Monty would say

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Matt

Rich
    I had a spare pair once...got a spare lathe for sale on here, if that helps

The problem with all machine tools is every five minute job seems to require £50 of extra tooling

I sometimes wonder whether its better just to take out a chambers mortgage each time

Being BSA, it's always possible they are BCT - British Cycle Thread.
    The fore end screws for both Cadet and Major have the same part number, 16-717.
    The diameter of the screw thread is 3/16", but I can't find my pitch guage.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    it's always possible they are BCT - British Cycle Thread.
    Most cycle thread is the same pitch 26 tpi, regardless of diameter. The larger sizes then go 20 tpi.
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?