Thread: H&K P30 or CP88?

H&K P30 or CP88?

Hi

I am new to air pistol shooting, and plan to do some IPAS. Any opinions from the seasoned shooters as to a preference between the above, or indeed any other air pistol, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Ash

I've not shot a P30 but I love shooting my CP88, great with a moderator and even better if you can get hold of a 6" comp model!
    ATB
    Stewart

Does the p30 have a rifled barrel? If it does its a closer choice. Personally, I favour the CP88

Rayee is offline I don't need a gun; I've got an attack butterfly.
    Yesps, it has a rifled barrel.
    See this vid HERE and also note how extraordinarily less cool he looks once his safety specs are off.
    The old wonk eye.
    Toilet trained since March

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I don't shoot IPAS, but many who do prefer the Smith 586 or 686: ten rounds instead of eight, and making for a nice big magazine that's easier to change in a hurry.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayee View Post
    Yesps, it has a rifled barrel.
    See this vid HERE and also note how extraordinarily less cool he looks once his safety specs are off.
    The old wonk eye.
    Yeah. But I prefer the vids he does with the woman.

He's talking about 100 shots per CO2 cylinder, but I wonder how many of those are just lob-shots from a dying cylinder? I don't push my Smith 686 beyond 40 shots: but he's talking 300 fps, and the Smith (supposedly) gets 450.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch11 View Post
    Does the p30 have a rifled barrel? If it does its a closer choice. Personally, I favour the CP88
    I own both, and have owned the cp88 since they came off ticket.

The CP88 is an accurate pistol capable of just under 80 good shots from a cylinder - it will knock out 110 overall, but the final few are a lobbed shots.

The P30 is a more modern design of a synthetic lower encasing metal internals, with a metal topslide - it has a self contained dropout gas magazine, that also can contain bbs.
    If you shoot pellets, you can drop out the gas mag and stick it in a warm pocket to warm the gas up whilst you reload your pellet mag, doing this you can get a 100 good shots from a gas cylinder - else if you treat it like a cp88 you'll get much the same sort of shots from a cylinder.

I had a long shooting sesh in the garage last night, the P30 is capable of some very small groupings indeed - one grouping I managed was eight shots at 6yds leaving a hole just large enough to push a five pence piece through.

Don't dismiss the P30, it is a nice piece of kit, if it suits you*, and gives you the option of shooting steel bbs through it as well - I have found that trying gamo lead bbs is a recipe for a jammy disaster tho'

-Rob

*Try as I might I've never got on well with the CP88, it just doesn't suit me - or vice versa!

I won't have you criticising Paul Capello.

Seriously though, I think his video reviews are pretty good.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.