Thread: Walther LP3 cocking lever wanted

Walther LP3 cocking lever wanted

I'm posting this plea on behalf of LeonardJ, a well-known Canadian collector, who is not a BBS member.

He posted the following wanted ad on the American Vintage Forum. If you can help, let me know and I'll pass it on. Thanks.

"I am in need of the cocking lever, or cocking lever assembly, for a Walther LP3 single stroke pneumatic pistol.

I had already resealed the piston head and the valve, but when setting the lock-up tension on the cocking lever, it felt consistently "mushy" - there was no setting on the adjustment eccentric that would give the solid lock up that I am accustomed to getting on these guns. In the course of trying to find out why the appropriate adjustment could not be found, the lever just broke away from the piston connecting rod.

It seems that the lever must have been cracked and ready to let go, because the heavy wear marks where the piston connecting rod boss had contacted the main pivot boss were not done with only a few operations of the lever. First time I have ever encountered a broken lever on one of these guns, and I've done plenty of them. I can only speculate that someone had previously set the lock up far too heavy, and the lever had been fatigued over the years, and finally broke.

I'd like to obtain a proper replacement if at all possible, because the rest of the gun is in beautiful condition. Very much appreciate any assistance.

Pic 1

Pic 2
    Last edited by Garvin; 05-08-2011 at 10:12 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I'm posting this plea on behalf of LeonardJ, a well-known Canadian collector, who is not a BBS member.

He posted the following wanted ad on the American Vintage Forum. If you can help, let me know and I'll pass it on. Thanks.

"I am in need of the cocking lever, or cocking lever assembly, for a Walther LP3 single stroke pneumatic pistol.

I had already resealed the piston head and the valve, but when setting the lock-up tension on the cocking lever, it felt consistently "mushy" - there was no setting on the adjustment eccentric that would give the solid lock up that I am accustomed to getting on these guns. In the course of trying to find out why the appropriate adjustment could not be found, the lever just broke away from the piston connecting rod.

It seems that the lever must have been cracked and ready to let go, because the heavy wear marks where the piston connecting rod boss had contacted the main pivot boss were not done with only a few operations of the lever. First time I have ever encountered a broken lever on one of these guns, and I've done plenty of them. I can only speculate that someone had previously set the lock up far too heavy, and the lever had been fatigued over the years, and finally broke.

I'd like to obtain a proper replacement if at all possible, because the rest of the gun is in beautiful condition. Very much appreciate any assistance.

Pic 1

Pic 2
    Hiya mate, Good luck with the part !
    However like many older guns, Repairs or parts are often required, & Just need to be made.

It looks to be made of aluminium ? I guess it could be repaired as good as new !
    That would be making a jig ( So that the hole was in the right place when drilled )
    Welding oversize, re-drilling, Filing to shape & Anodizing !

Thats the way of old guns, Cheers ged.

mrto

Pic 1

Pic 2
    Hi Garvin,You have the incorrect model number on the title,It should read LP3 and NOT LP53.Somebody was going to comment on the error eventually.Regards,mrto
    Last edited by mrto; 05-08-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Hi Garvin,You have the incorrect model number on the title,It should read LP3 and NOT LP53.Somebody was going to comment on the error eventually.Regards,mrto
    Damn! You're right mrto! Thanks. That's the second time I've made that mistake.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Damn! You're right mrto! Thanks. That's the second time I've made that mistake.
    ...... All changed for you.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    ...... All changed for you.
    Great, thanks Gareth.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery