Thread: What came first---Manuarm or Ro72?

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

What came first---Manuarm or Ro72?

As these 2 pistols are very similar, with the Manuarm having a larger diameter cylinder and wider breech jaws, what came 1st? Did Manuarm flog the design to Guntoys or vice versa?
    Just curious.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Hi gggr have you got an e mail addy? I have just taken a pic of a RO71,RO72 and a Manuarm all together but don't know how to load it up on here.

I'm a bit confused about the RO72 the book says it's 14 inch's or so long and the one I have is 20 inch's long.

If you can get the pics up on the board I will give the blue book blurb to them so folks can see how they compare.

Charles

What came first

According to John Griffiths, the RO72 (Gun Toys) was introduced into the UK ca. 1973 and the Manu-arm in ca. 1980. The Manu-arm pistol always looked mean and powerful in the adverts in Airgun World and it would be interesting to know how good they were as I've never tried one.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Can someone do the pics for me please?

Cheers
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    According to John Griffiths, the RO72 (Gun Toys) was introduced into the UK ca. 1973 and the Manu-arm in ca. 1980. The Manu-arm pistol always looked mean and powerful in the adverts in Airgun World and it would be interesting to know how good they were as I've never tried one.
    The RO72 series were sold by numerous retailers including Sussex Armoury. Here are a couple of pics of 2 that I sold on the BBS in 2008

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I've never owned a Manuarm and from memory, 1980 is about right. I think Protek may have an RO72 for sale. They are best used for fun and not serious use, despite the Target description on the box!

Kind regards,

John

Now I'm confused!
    I seem to have an RO71 and an RO72 with the longer barrel from an RO77. Does this make sense??? If someone is able to post the pics it may become clearer to those with knowledge!

Charles

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Last edited by Punchsteve; 06-08-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Pics edited into Wadhill's post above.

Sure you've got enough guns there Charles?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The Italian RO72 certainly appeared in the UK first, but its possible the French Manuarm was being made but not imported for the same length of time as the RO72.

To be honest, they are nasty pistols that give the impression of power and accuracy (tunnel foresight on the RO72 for example) but really they are cheap, monkey-metal plinkers.

At the time (mid 70s) it would have been better to find a secondhand Webley pistol than buy one of these, which to the uninitiated looked like a BSA Scorpion.

Manuarm made a nasty rifle out of their pistol with an odd thumbhole stock I seem to remember.

You could try e-mailing Manu Arm as they still make the pistol...

http://www.manuarm.fr/fr/loisir.html

The ranges look very similar as you say but that may just be coincidence.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 06-08-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wadhill1 View Post
    Now I'm confused!
    I seem to have an RO71 and an RO72 with the longer barrel from an RO77. Does this make sense??? If someone is able to post the pics it may become clearer to those with knowledge!

Charles

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    It didn't help that numerous variations of RO71 and RO72 were sold. The earliest RO71s had a fixed rearsight and wait for it...a foresight that took interchangeable elements! An adjustable sight was later added. In the simplest terms, the way to tell an RO71 from an RO72 is the grips. The RO71 had 2 plain stock sides whereas the RO72 had broader moulded grips and more plastic around the frame.

You have a longer barrelled Panther Artillery Carbine (sexy name if ever there was one) that would have originally also taken a wire shoulder stock. The stock would also fit some of the RO72s and screwed into the rear of the cylinder block.

Cheap and cheerful in their time but I liked them. Ok for tin cans but not bullseyes with a power of 1.5 Ft lbs or thereabouts.

Kind regards,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Punchsteve View Post
    Pics edited into Wadhill's post above.

Sure you've got enough guns there Charles?

NO

Charles