Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal Imports from Europe - MONEY SAVING on 10m kit

Personal Imports from Europe - MONEY SAVING on 10m kit

Have researched extensively into this matter, so that am Kosher, have no problems with customs on the export side, or UK side for that matter...

Feel free to download that 'GENERIC SALE LETTER', which I usually send to the seller of an airgun in Europe (whether the seller is an individual or a business), as they fill in the blanks; it helps mainly, if ever, UK customs opens the packet to inspect the airgun..

Remember and know your UK rights- you are allowed to import any NON FAC airgun, and have it delivered to your doorstep (as opposed to having the gun delivered to your UK, RFD, who will charge you a handling fee).

Courier 'issues' from Germany is/was a Red Herring...as again, it pays to actually research, read up, and know what info is fact versus what info comes from the backside.

http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/f...ight=Importing

...and finally, there is NO IMPORT DUTY, TAX, VAT to pay...when the airgun or parts arrive from Europe.

Hope all this info. helps some of you out there.

If you cant be bothered with creating a log in for STB, this is it:

Spoke with Andrew COBBY yesterday...the short of it is YES, you can import from Europe without a license any NON FAC air rifle, and NOT have to go through a UK RFD shop, and have it delivered to your door...whether new from a shop or 2nd hand from an individual in Europe... (which means I was correct in my interpretations regarding rules on importing NON FAC air rifles into UK).

With Mr. Cobby's permission, I have posted his email reply, so feel free to contact him if you so wish...but I dont think It is necessary now that this has been clarified:

Thu, May 20, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    subject RE: Personal Import from Europe - 12lbs/ft (16 Joules) air rifle (NON FAC)

Thanks for your email.

As advised earlier, I can provide information on the import licensing requirements on air weapons. An import licence is not required to import an air rifle with a muzzle velocity of 12 ft/lbs or less.

My understanding is that the 'face to face' requirement for the sale of air weapons refers only to transactions taking place in the UK so you can have the air rifle consigned directly to your home address if it is consigned from outside the UK.

I have discussed this with Annemarie Dryden at UKBA and I have copied Annemarie in to this reply.

Annemarie - please feel free to add anything you think I might have missed.

Regards

Andrew Cobby | Import Licensing Branch | Department for Business, Innovation and Skills |
    Queensway House | West Precinct | Billingham | TS23 2NF | andrew.cobby@bis.gsi.gov.uk | T: 01642 364318 | Fax: 01642 364269 | www.bis.gov.uk

The Department for Business, Innovation & Skills (BIS) is building a dynamic and competitive UK economy by creating the conditions for business success; promoting innovation, enterprise and science; and giving everyone the skills and opportunities to succeed. To achieve this we will foster world-class universities and promote an open global economy.
    BIS - Investing in our future

This is the text, to past on a Word document, that you can email to a Seller:

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

RE: Name & Model of Gun (16 Joules/ 12 lb/ft power)

Serial Number: Insert

This letter is to confirm, I , (Name of Person selling), a (EU Country name) national and

currently resident in (name of village/town) , have privately sold my airgun (Gun name

eg “FWB – P70FT” ) to:

Mr. MYSELF JOE BLOGGS,
    34 Any Street Name
    Any City , any post code,
    United-Kingdom,
    Mobile:

I also hereby declare this airgun to be: NON-FAC, and conforms to the UK power limit of

16 Joules/ 12 lb./ft.

I am further satisfied (Your Name) is over the age of 18, and has provided me proof, with

a copy of his passport for verification.

Sincerely,

…....... …......
    Signature of (insert sellers name) Date

Address: (sellers)

Tel: (sellers)

email: (sellers)

Last edited by JG66; 10-08-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)

personal import

I wonder if you would confirm that your information would also apply to air pistols of less than 6 ft/lbs?

I am thinking of purchasing from euroshooting.eu (Miroslav Varga) in the Czech Republic.

Are you aware of anyone with experience of dealing with them? I have copied your letter in anticipation of going down this route to purchase a new pistol.

Thanks for the very useful information.
    Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    We've been doing this for years and there have been many posts in relation to this on here before. Any air gun F marked in a pentagon air pistol or rifle is included. Imports from the EU were specifically exempted in the regulations from face to face requirement or via an RFD. There is no need for specific letters, customs are not interested, and contacting them will just cause delays and confusion.

The only problem is awkward carriers who are not willing carry guns of any type other than for the manufacturers, its not a legal issue, its the carriers who seem to change their own rules at will, JG66, a list of carriers/couriers who will carry guns knowingly would be usefull if you've had any recently.
    No problem Mike if its an F marked target pistol, just order it.
    Good Shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

I don't think there is any money(on old match rifles) to be saved by buying abroad. The old match rifles go for about 150-250 on egun, which is about the same as here. I saw that BAR have a Diana 75 for 250. Don't think it's worth the hassle

ALex

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    We've been doing this for years and there have been many posts in relation to this on here before. Any air gun F marked in a pentagon air pistol or rifle is included. Imports from the EU were specifically exempted in the regulations from face to face requirement or via an RFD. There is no need for specific letters, customs are not interested, and contacting them will just cause delays and confusion.

The only problem is awkward carriers who are not willing carry guns of any type other than for the manufacturers, its not a legal issue, its the carriers who seem to change their own rules at will, JG66, a list of carriers/couriers who will carry guns knowingly would be usefull if you've had any recently.
    No problem Mike if its an F marked target pistol, just order it.
    Good Shooting
    Robin
    I agree with this. What you have said, JG66, just confirms what many of us have known - and shared on here - for a long time.

As Robin says, the problems can come from the carriers. I'm not sure what you're referring to with your "red herring" comment, but it seems to be a well-supported fact that DHL, the main German-to-UK carrier and the one that Germans tend to use (because the company is owned by their national network of Post Offices) has banned the carriage of all guns to international destinations. If you have information to the contrary, please share it.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Many thanks for all the useful comments and information - I'll let you know how I get on.......

Mike
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I agree with this. What you have said, JG66, just confirms what many of us have known - and shared on here - for a long time.

As Robin says, the problems can come from the carriers. I'm not sure what you're referring to with your "red herring" comment, but it seems to be a well-supported fact that DHL, the main German-to-UK carrier and the one that Germans tend to use (because the company is owned by their national network of Post Offices) has banned the carriage of all guns to international destinations. If you have information to the contrary, please share it.
    You and Robin C are spot on. I have bought from private individuals, dealers, and spare parts direct from Feinwerkbau over the years with no need for any paperwork from any of them, and never had any problems or delays.

There is no red herring about DHL either - they have banned the international transport of airguns and airgun spare parts, and it has made it less easy for some of the private sellers in particlar in so much that they can no longer just drop their parcel with the airweapon they have sold into their local post office to send it to the buyer over here.

This does not bother some sellers as they can look and find another carrier, others cannot be bothered and do not want the hassle so they won't sell to us. I have lost a P40 that I won on egun purley because of this and no other reason.

As JG66 says though, buying from Germany is easy and no problem for most sellers. I actually received a Walther LGR Universal via DHL recently - not sure how that worked - but the seller just sent it and it arrived. Sheer fluke probably, I had no idea how the seller was going to send it, but it did arrive safely and was delivered by DHL !
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I bought my Aeron Spyder from euroshooting. No problems, good service.
    Indeed, manu guns, especially german or tsjech made, are cheaper on the mainland.
    Just be aware that any normal rifle you buy in germany is 6Ftp only.
    And that anything you buy in holland or belgium is FAC!
    ATB,
    yana

Just had a FWB C25 bought on egun delivered today by Parcel Force, sent by a German RFD via DHL.
    Evo 10 Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by silvershooter View Post
    Just had a FWB C25 bought on egun delivered today by Parcel Force, sent by a German RFD via DHL.
    Hi Silvershooter,

How does your new German bought C25 compare with the C25 you bought in the UK earlier this year when you compare the condition of them both against the price paid for them both?

This should make interesting reading.

Glad you still like the Feinwerkbau C25 models - now you have a matched pair - very nice!

I shot my Model 2 at the Rossendale Club tonight - loved it!

Lots of life in the FWB C02 pistols yet!

Hi Zooma
    It is a year newer and has seen very little use, almost half the price I paid for the other one. (came to 212.00 with delivery and foreign transfer charges) although it came with only one cartridge, not too bothered as I had bought 2 new cartridges (dated 2011) on egun previously.
    Yes I really like these pistols.
    It has holes drilled in the top of the barrel which must be a factory development.

CO2 is so easy and cheap.

Looking forward to trying it at the club tomorrow.
    Evo 10 Compact.

Hi Zooma
    It is a year newer and has seen very little use, almost half the price I paid for the other one. (came to 212.00 with delivery and foreign transfer charges) although it came with only one cartridge, not too bothered as I had bought 2 new cartridges (dated 2011) on egun previously.
    Yes I really like these pistols.
    It has holes drilled in the top of the barrel which must be a factory development.

CO2 is so easy and cheap.

Looking forward to trying it at the club tomorrow.
    Good luck with it at the club tomorow - why not pop over and spread some of your CO2 gas in our new club in Rossendale next Tuesday?

You would be very welcome, and you can also have a shot with some of my Model 2, C10 and C20 pistols as well - I think you will find they are also very nice to shoot, and just as inexpensive to buy!

Feinwerkbau CO2 pistols represent the best buys in my humble opinion - great qaulity, superb value for money, and good priced spare parts that are available from the German dealers or direct from the factory.

........and as you say, CO2 is so easy and cheap!

A German dealer I have contact with said that people are doing it by not telling the carrier what they are carrying, when a carrier collects from a shooting business its a bit obvious that it is or could be a gun so they don't get away with it even if they wished to which they don't. If they quietly take it to a carrier and if asked say its sports equipment there is a high probability that it will get through which is what is happening, but DHL will not collect plain boxes which they suspect to be guns from a proper gun dealer. The other route is the use of small carriers who charge DHL cost plus a cut and then take it to DHL and they keep it quiet. To sneak them through is a very risky process.
    I think the reason they won't do it is that carriage on a ship which many of them use comes under shipping act security regulations and the shipping companies regs and by air under similar regulation, so they should know what they are carrying as it could make the carriers vulnerable, this is why most of them have declined to ship across non open borders other than the land ones in the EU. People are getting away with it by describing as sports equipment or something non gun because the ports are too busy to check items on a multiple load, but its a risky business. The manufacturers are able to do it as they provide more documentation and meet stricter carriage requirements such as bonded loads, etc, to be able to import.

Its possible to go there and bring them back in a car, I travel abroad to compete and the state borders and customs are simple, they are not the problem, the regulation is from the shipping company ( Stena for example is the one we use) and they have specific requirements to clear their security, we have to declare in advance by phone and confirm by e mail, we have to show them what we have declared we are carrying so they can verify we have given them correct info, to not declare is risking all sorts of problems including proscecution under the Shipping act, this applies to any gun, air or FAC. The comercial carriers are simply not prepared to do this on what is probably one box in a full load which is why they are refusing to cross these borders with mailed guns, its not the borders its the way they have to cross the border, i.e ships and planes that present the problems.
    The reason its come to a head in the last year or so is probably one of the carriers got caught doing what they have been doing for years due to increased security with respect to terrorism.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Hi Zooma
    Thanks for your kind offer. Rossendale is a bit too far for me in the evening as I would not be able to get away until after 7.00 pm.
    It looks as though you have most of the Feinwerkbau CO2 pistol catalogue up there.

RobinC
    That explains a lot, thanks for that very detailed information. It looks as though I should not buy mail order/egun from Germany too often.

Regards
    Dave
    Evo 10 Compact.

RobinC
    That explains a lot, thanks for that very detailed information. It looks as though I should not buy mail order/egun from Germany too often.

Regards
    Dave
    Dave
    There are some very good deals in Germany, I don't see how you could be commiting any offence, but you should be very sure that the sender is taking full financial responsibility should it fail to reach you for what ever reason, and if they are sneaked through there will not be any insurance. I suspect that there is a very low probability of them getting stopped but no responsible business wants to take the risk, do you? I have friends at a manufacturer, I'm currently trying to find out exactly how they send airguns, and wether that is viable for an individual, I'll update if they come back to me. My friends in German shooting are also saying they are going through a fairly dramatic tightening of gun control in the country which may also be having an impact.
    Good Shooting
    Robin