Thread: Newbie - HW40 pics (?)

Newbie - HW40 pics (?)

Hello all I am a newbie so introducing myself. I will try to post soem pics in this post but forgive me if they don't work out.

I haven't picked up an airgun for 25 years but I got the urge again recently so I popped down to the gunshop and asked what they recommended for back garden 10M target pistol shooting. No hesitation they recommended the HW40. I was not entriely convinced as it looks like something out of a Jason Statham movie rather than the old air pistol I remember from my youth.

Anyway I went ahead so here it is

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/t...S/IMG_0774.jpg

It certainly is a nicely made thing especially for the price. The trigger action is great and all the parts are well built. The open, load and safety functions are very good. Reclosing the pistol when cocking it needs a bit of effort but you get used to it quickly.

One cool feature are the truglo sights, these use little fibre optics to pick up daylight and make a bright feature of the sights which is very handy for amining into a dark background, especially for a novice.

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/t...S/IMG_0770.jpg

So I put 5 shots into a 10M target and it looked like this. (Just zoomed the little Canon in from 10M away, I was surprised it could pick this up).

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/t...S/IMG_0772.jpg

Not an Olympic performance but I thought it was not too bad more or less out of the box. I adjusted the sights about 1/4-1/2 turn on both elevation and windage which needs a screwdriver but it is easy to do and a positive action.

It is a nice gun and I am sure I can improve with practice. Nevertheless I can see me changing it for something a bit more like a "match" type pistol in a while.

Cheers and I hope to stick around in this forum and learn something. (Just previewed the post and it looks like you can't embed pics in it).

Jim

Yup, the HW40's very good - pretty accurate, nice trigger - it's just a shame it's all plastic. Cocking is a knack. The grips are a bit smooth but there are solutions - like anti-slip tape or a piece of bicycle inner tube! Some people don't like the truglo sites but I do.

I'm happy to be corrected but I don't think you get a much better pistol without spending considerably more - although the Alecto gets good reviews.

Nice little pistols, glad your happy with it! I have shot one before and it had a lovely trigger. I know what you mean about the end of the cocking stroke though!

One word of warning though, it looks like the pellet catcher is on a fence post which may suggest that its on the boundary of the land. Just remember its an offence to let a pellet (Either a miss or a Ricochet) leave the boundary (I'm not saying this is the case here but these kinds of things have a habit of escalating from an innocent mistake to a "Kill crazy gun rampage with a high powered assault weapon" before you can say busybody)

Have fun dude!!.

I've heard they are splendid pistols. I've just purchased a BSA Magnum 240 and I'm hoping to be similarly happy. I was looking at HW40 also, plenty going for a very reasonable price on a few sites second hand.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome, that is a good point bloo about the boundary, you are right it is on a fence post but all that foliage conceals a 10 foot high soil bank which is the perfect backstop. To cross the boundary I would have to shoot way up into the air and the neighbours are ok with it so I am not expecting any problems. The "maniac" situation I am sure is not helped by the design of these guns.

I looked at the HW45 and the Alecto as well but seeing as I am sure to change it I thought the HW40 would be as good as anything to get going with.

i bought a hw40 about a month ago. the trigger on it is great

i have a 22 hw45 as well. out of the 2 the hw40 gets my vote.

i'm thinking of selling the 45.

Awesome stuff dude, the backstop certainly sounds far in excess of anything I have!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BRGS View Post
    The "maniac" situation I am sure is not helped by the design of these guns.
    I'm sure your right, I like the design of the newer tactical looking guns but I also love the varied designs of the traditional air pistol.

When it comes to the 45 v the 40 I dont think you can compare the guns, the 45 will always be more challenging to shoot and thats one of the things people love about them.

I have one of these and a beeman p17 copy.The beeman is not bad at all,missing the truglow sights and the trigger is not quite as good and the quality of the parts is a little inferior.
    I drilled a hole half way down the compression tube on the beeman and removed any burrs.It's ideal if you don't have a 10 metre firing range,the power is ample without losing accuracy and you can cock it with 2 fingers with hardly a sound on firing.Just put a little electricians tape over the hole to go back to full power.

That's a good one, I have only been here 5 minutes and I am thinking of drilling a hole in the compression tube!

take it drill bit should not be to big lol

thanks as a newby myself

I have just posted a thread relating to this pistol then came across your thread after thanks it was of grat intrest and also helpful