Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what budget c02 pistol?

what budget c02 pistol?

hi everyone, hope you can help me choose a new pistol..

iv not owned one for overr 10 years when i had a c02 makarov & webley tempest and now im looking to get another for short range target shooting.

my budget is up to approx £120 for the pistol itself with a bit left over for c02 etc.

blowback is not important, nor do i mind a plastic body.. providing it doesnt look cheap and nasty. id like it to be reliable and have atleast some accuracy

at the mo i have my eye on,

1) Cybergun P226 X-5

2) ASG CZ75D Compact

3)Heckler & Koch USP

any opinions on these or which is best?

thanks

no one? think i'll go for the ASG then... or H&K.. or both

Try the Crossman 2240 rat-buster at £85-ish, .22 and about as legally powerful as you can get. It doesn't look like a 'real' pistol though if you're after a replica.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by mx0range View Post
    no one? think i'll go for the ASG then... or H&K.. or both
    You may need to wait a while for a reply - what are you using the pistol for?
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

As you seem to be looking at BB guns mainly then the answer is simple.

Tanfoglio Witness 1911. Very cheap, looks great, makes the correct noises, blowback with a proper action (The ASGs use the trigger pull for feed).

The Sig is pretty good but the 1911 has it beat, The paint wears off the Sig and it looks naff, when this happens to a 1911 it looks authentic and characterful.

EDIT: As your in Manchester get over to Mcavoys for a CO2 pistol, much cheaper than the other local suppliers and great service. £120 will get you a lot of pistol there, the 1911 is under £80 new, most other places will charge £40 or so more.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    As you mentioned target shooting & some degree of accuracy in the same post - none of them, they'll all be ultimately disappointing for that purpose.
    If you really want a multi-shot, my advice for your budget would be a S/H S&W....

hhmm, Mcavoys is over in wigan (im much more in central manchester) which is a bit of a drive, but their prices are very reasonable!

i have to say im going off cybergun as i hear spares arent so easy to come by and im also favouring plastic to avoid the problem of paint flaking off.

as well as something for me to shoot, the wife wants in (win!) would this be suitable? Crosman C11 CO2 Pistol

It's worth the drive, the only shop I know of selling airpistols in Central Manchester will charge well over the odds. I'm just off the M60 so fairly central myself, its only 20 minutes away.

I have mixed feelings about plastic, it really depends on the gun. The Umarex Desert Eagle is ruined by the Plastic, as is the MP5 (though it looks acceptable) and the non blowback Cybergun Tanfoglio is a crime against humanity. yet the Cybergun Uzi looks fine (though this benefits from a stamped metal top cover which makes a difference) and the Walther Lever actions have a lot of plastic as well but unless your looking for it you do not tend to notice.

With regards to the painted finish issues this is not unique to Cybergun, the ASGs also suffer from it, it's just that the Cybergun Sig seems particularly badly affected. The finish on the 1911 is very similar to that used by ASG on the Dan Wesson Revolver.

paint flaking off wasnt aimed particually at cybergun..

im also now 99% certain i DONT want blowback. as far as im concerned its just a waste of c02 & energy and when i said 'some accuracy' i meant anything that can shoot within a 3" grouping or so is fine. max distance would be about 25ft

No Blowback?????? dude, thats a big disappointment! Blowback is what makes CO2 great (well for me)!! I can't stand shooting without some feedback from the gun.

Each onto their own though, for me shooting CO2 Pistols is more about the authenticity of the experience rather than the accuracy, for that I tend to use my HW45 which is a challenge and very rewarding.

I think you should manage a 3" group at 25 feet or so even with a blowback. The double action trigger of a non blowback gun tends to have as much of an effect on accuracy as a blowback action. With regards to shot count the laws of physics say it will have an effect, but the amount of gas used depends on the action and its condition.

My Uzi gives me about 40 shots but the recoil is exceptional and the bolt is massive and heavy, my PPK/S classic gives me around 90 shots, the Sig about 60 and the 1911 seems to do about 80 (Tested on a very hot day though). CO2 is pretty cheap, and the feeling of a gun reacting to the shot is very rewarding.

I may seem biased towards blowbacks, one of my other hobbies is model making and I much prefer to things to be authentic. Hence I have not yet bought a Umarex Pistol because I don't like the revolver action, and I can't bring myself to buy the Smith because the full cylinder doesn't revolve!

with reguards to blowback, i just dont like the thought of giving up on power & number of shots i can get (more so power since c02 is cheap) for something i see more of as novelty.

you never know, i might buy 2 non blowbacks now and get something a little more 'authentic' down the line and build up a collection from there

iv got a week off work starting 5th sep so i'll make my way over to McAvoy then.. who knows what i'll come back with!

Don't make the mistake of getting hung up on power dude, the power of most CO2 pistols is very low, especially the sort your looking at. Just looking back at some of my past chrono results and the power difference between my Dan Wesson and my blowback guns is insignificant.

Blowback as a novelty?, I see why people think that, however its the principle on which most of the real weapons operate so authentic for a replica (Indeed the cyberguns even employ a locked breach, the 1911 actually uses the browning action). The way the blowback mechism works is a pretty much the same as a bullet leaving a cartridge as it fires. The fact that it makes the gun react during the shot makes shooting that little bit more exciting though, something a double action pistol cannot replicate.

When you buy a replica of an automatic handgun and it works off a double action trigger with a hidden revolving cylinder its just a naff way of doing it to me (I dont see the point of a replica thats not a replica if you follow me). Though I do understand its an economical way of solving the problem of feeding waisted pellets (I'd still much prefer ejecting dummy shells or a magazine working on a dardick like principal but I reckon we are a way off that yet!).

Go and have a look at a few pistols, but try the C11 and the Witness 1911 (and any others) and compare the 2 and see what you think. Whatever you think though dude, buy the gun you like and want (then buy the rest later!).

If your anything like most of the pistols shooters on here you don't need to worry about the amount of gas your guns use, you worry about the amount of guns you need to buy gas for.

ok. so iv had a look at the review for the Tanfoglio Witness 1911 and i instantly love it so i'll get 1 of those.... and something else.. not sure what yet

Easy. Get a Witness to tick the blowback box, and an Umarex pellet firer for (plinking) accuracy.

yes

get a beretta px4 pistol