Thread: Expressing an interest...

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Expressing an interest...

I thought I’d start a new thread on this subject rather than hijack someone else’s valuation thread....

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Since when did "asking an owner to let you know when they offer their item for sale" constitute an being an offer to buy...
    That seems rather over-bearing to me - It's merely asking the owner to let you know when something becomes actually available as not all of us spend hours each day waiting for something to pop-up, but may be of interest depending on the price asked...

and there are mods on here (no-names) that have previously PM'd me to let me know that something they are selling is available....
    This got the following response…

Quote Originally Posted by OLD JUD View Post
    Gentlemen, it's not for us to debate the forum rules, they are set with the best of intentions to create a fair environment for all who use this forum.

Of course 'Business' is conducted by both PM and email, just don't make your actions public.
    My original post was to make a fairly new member aware of his faux pas. He won't be the first member or last to do this, i have done it in the past and been rewarded with a brief holiday! I sincerely hope that the mod's show some mercy on what seems to be an innocent oversight.

I know some of the more established members have overstepped the mark and been lucky to get away with it, but the mod's don't live on here 24/7 so they can hardly be blamed when this happens.
    Fair enough, and I fully accept the need for a robust set of rules for this forum, But I see no harm in debating a rule if it appears illogical…
    Personally, I can’t see them harm in offering to buy via PM either (and neither does the gent above it appears) after all – both serve to validate an item’s desirability…

Offering to buy via PM is permitted but only on a thread in the appropriate "Sale" section. The sales section rules require a price to be stated.

Offers to buy (however made) on the back of a valuation thread are not permitted because that would then circumvent the rules in the sales sections, turning this into an auction site and removing the need for a "sales area".

The current approach is open and fair IMO, whilst being reasonably easy to administer.

Should this be in Non Airgun Related?
    Last edited by 18 Wheeler; 26-08-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: spilling

We can debate the forum rules, but ultimately we don't control the forum.
    If anyone feels strongly enough about the issue then why not contact the admin's or mod's and voice your views? They are the only people who can change things.
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post
    Offers to buy (however made) on the back of a valuation thread are not permitted because that would then circumvent the rules in the sales sections, turning this into an auction site and removing the need for a "sales area"
    How so by PM? other buyers have no idea you have made an offer or the amount and the buyer has absolutely no obligation to accept your offer...

Should this be in Non Airgun Related?
    I don't think so - it's on a sticky at the top of this section and it's particularly relevant to this section.

....and what about the other issue of not being allowed to ask to be informed when something IS offered for sale?

Offering to buy via PM is permitted but only on a thread in the appropriate "Sale" section.
    Since PMs are not related to threads, in any way, shape or form, then it seems that as long you don't do a dodo as the person whose innocent actions initiated all of this by publicising his PM (!!!) then I think we are sorted

End of the day, a PM as a result of someone viewing a valuation thread can only go two ways:

"let me know once you put this up for sale (at whatever the price will be)" - harmless enough;

or

"I will offer you x pounds for your item" - in which case the OP has a solid valuation, as opposed to the hyperinflated nonsense often spouted by people who have no intention of parting with any cash, which valuation he can act upon or else try his luck for a better offer (by asking more) in the sales section.

Since it's all via PM and since the OP has not mentioned any prices but has been offered one, hence is not committed to any price he has publicised, he is free to take the latter course of action, or perhaps, accept a PM offer from someone else that may be higher. The PMer knows that this is a risk, that there are no guarantees that an offer will be accepted.

Either way, there are no auction threads created. As previous, what if someone calls or emails the OP, or meets him in the street, and offers to buy? Send the cops to prevent the sale from happening, insisting that the OP must create a sales thread on airgunbbs.com?

Anyway that's my take on it, feel free to disagree
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    How so by PM? other buyers have no idea you have made an offer or the amount and the buyer has absolutely no obligation to accept your offer...

If by PM it could still become an auction, albeit one with closed bids.
    The simple answer, as outlined in Gareth W-B's sticky, is that those who run and fund this forum have decided that's how they would like it.
    Perhaps you could ask them to explain their thinking? You may bring about the change you desire.

I don't think so - it's on a sticky at the top of this section and it's particularly relevant to this section.

I was being flippant, hence the .

....and what about the other issue of not being allowed to ask to be informed when something IS offered for sale?

Given that it's explicitly stated I guess those running the forum have some reason or experience of this creating issues.
    Whilst there are a number of ways to get around the "rules of engagement", personally I wouldn't as I think it contravenes the spirit of the forum and is in itself dishonest.

Just my personal view.

Right gents, I'm trying to do half a dozen things at once at the moment, so forgive me if my reply is brief.

As far as I'm aware, the rules on offering to buy from the back of a valuation thread also applies to PM offers.

However, asking to be informed when the item is available to buy seems like a bit of a grey area and I'd like to hear the thoughts of the other mods before giving a definite answer.