Thread: Airsporter MK5 Tuning kit

Mattockswinga is offline A bit generous with the inch estimate....... as usual

Airsporter MK5 Tuning kit

Hi,

On Chambers website there is a tuning kit for the Mk5 Airsporter, costs about £60. New springs/seals/tophat etc. Does anyone have any experience of using one of these and, if so, was it worth it? Was there a significant improval of cocking/firing cycle? Accuracy? locktime? Just wondering like.

Was wondering about buying it, are there any cheaper options? like buying all the component paerts of the kit sepearately? Hmmm, might have to price that up...

Cheers

Chris
    B&C Weihrauch HW99s .22 3-9X40

Thumbs up

you'll get an over powered spring and a few lubes ...... the kit spoils the airsporter just put a standard spring back in with a new piston ring and proper lube

been there my airsporter s was horrible to shoot after fitting the kit .......very harsh recoil
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Mattockswinga is offline A bit generous with the inch estimate....... as usual

Nice

Cheers for that mate.

I seem to remember fitting a spring to the airsporter not so long ago which isnt too bad, it was running at 10.5ft/lb, which I was happy with, but i cant remember what the recoil was like or how smooth it was to shoot (Its been with a friend for a year you see). Good info though so I wont bother buying the kit, just have to hope something else pops along soon for my itchy fingers, getting bored lol!
    B&C Weihrauch HW99s .22 3-9X40

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Best tuning mod for Airsporter is the increase in swept volume you can get if you ditch the buffer washer and maybe machine flat the piston head (metal model). Someone has the article on here, I know because they sent it to me!

The increase in swept volume means you can use a weaker (usually shorter) spring, so that recoil is greatly reduced. Bowkett used to do this and something else so that the Airsporter ran at 12 ft/lbs but with a half-length spring! You'll need to drill a new hole for the piston head locating pin and maybe file a little at the back of the piston cocking slot, but it is a fairly simple mod and will give you an extra 1-2 ft/lbs with less recoil and hence more accuracy. Its a win-win - and runs on a standard or even an old spring. A nice piston sleeve made from tin sheet also works wonders for the twangy BSAs ....