Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Witness 1911 with lead bb

Witness 1911 with lead bb

As UBC is down thought I would update guys on developments. Ian kindly sent me some H&N lead bb to test. These measured at an average of 4.34 mm diameter, smaller than my steel bb of 4.38. This means they are a loose fit in the barrel and do not jam. When dropping by hand in the barrel they are only held up by the "spin up" v in the breach, which does not obstruct them when firing.Even if slightly dented in the mag when under pressure from the spring they still feed and shoot.Not sure of velocity with the loose fit but they penetrate 88 pages of a telephone directory.Accuracy not tested yet. Interesting development, found weak point in my 1911, was not functioning well at weekend, found steel bb's in rectangular aperture in slide that mates with gas port on mag. Cleared and now working fine. Bazhttp://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...els/Witbbs.jpg

UBC appears to be fine here?
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

been using H&N copper coated lead balls for ages, they shoot very well in my drozd, my dan wesson, my umarex PPK, my umarex MP5k and my asg CZ75 P07 duty!

Going to have to get some of these, Spaspecker, do you get them locally?

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Going to have to get some of these, Spaspecker, do you get them locally?
    i was buying them mail order from protek until I spotted them in bamfords in eccleston last week - tin of 500 £4:06. All my BB guns seem to like them, and they "squash up" real nice when shot at a target, plus you don't have to wash your hands straight away after loading like when you use gamo's!

Lead BB

Thanks Spas, I have been using lead bb in a number of my pistols, especially vintage type bb gun like Crosman 677 which seem to have larger bore diameter. Some of us want to use the Witness 1911 for IPAS shooting but the bore was too tight to use standard 4.5mm lead bb. The ones I was given as sample to test are now too small. Has your supplier got any larger diameter around 4.36 - 4.38mm. I believe H&N produce different size options.

Baz

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by 2schimels View Post
    The ones I was given as sample to test are now too small. Has your supplier got any larger diameter around 4.36 - 4.38mm. I believe H&N produce different size options. Baz
    I thought your original post said they worked well - what was wrong with them?

Optimum diameter

Hello Captain, Never mentioned the word "well" in that aspect, said they are a lose fit in the barrel. Said my 1911 was not working well at the weekend due to steel bb in the slide aperture.Have not been down the range for a good accuracy test with H&N BB, but feel velocity and accuracy will be down, so would like to try lead bb the next size up if available in UK. Would like to use the Witness for regular IPAS shooting as I believe it is the nearest copy in size, weight and feel to a .45 Norinco I carry in South Africa for self defence.

Baz

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    By well, I meant you said they fed well & did not jam even when dented, did not fall out of the barrel being held by the spin-up bucking and still appeared to offer reasonable power in that they still penetrated the phone book a fair way....

It should be possible to re-barrel the 1911 - I haven't had a close look as yet, but if it's anything like the Sig p226 x-five open, then making up a different barrel should be a fairly straight forward operation.

Re-barrel

Good idea Minuteman, I was so impressed with the Witness I bought 2 and one I am customising with re-blue - black finish with chemical mix to take off trade names. Will fit different diam brass tube to size of BB.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by 2schimels View Post
    Thanks Spas, I have been using lead bb in a number of my pistols, especially vintage type bb gun like Crosman 677 which seem to have larger bore diameter. Some of us want to use the Witness 1911 for IPAS shooting but the bore was too tight to use standard 4.5mm lead bb. The ones I was given as sample to test are now too small. Has your supplier got any larger diameter around 4.36 - 4.38mm. I believe H&N produce different size options.

Baz
    the ones I use are H&N copper coated lead, the tin shows a size of 4.4mm

hope that helps

Cheers for the info dude, I am going to get hold of some.

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Cheers for the info dude, I am going to get hold of some.
    whereabouts are you in manchester? if you're near to me I could let you have a mag full to try? saves shelling out for some then if they're not right

BB diameter

Spas, I have learned not to take any notice what it says on the tin. Best to measure the size with vernier or micrometer. The sample I was sent were supposed to be 4.4, and average diameter was 4.34 mm. Can you get yours measured? (bb that is !).

Thanks, Baz