Thread: First Pistol?

First Pistol?

Hi guys,

Im looking for advice on the purchase of my first .177 CO2 pistol.

Have been into air rifles for years but never owned an air pistol altho I loved Brocock TAC pistols when I was a kid but could never afford one.

I have been looking around and the Walther/Umarex CP88 & CP99's seem to be popular choices.

Im looking for something that would be suitable for backyard target/plinking and would also allow me to compete in some of the UBC comps. I wouldn't mind a crack at this IPAS mularky too as that looks fun, but don't think there is anywhere in my area that does it.

Any advice greatly appreciated as like I said, when it comes to air pistols then im as green as they come. I have recently joined the UBC forum to get some more knowledge on the subject and a lot of people have mentioned these boards too, so between the two I should be able to find some answers.

If anyone has anything they are looking at getting rid of then PM me the details.

Cheers.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Since you have the UBC Comps in mind - and I'm delighted to hear that you do! - and also IPAS: I'd go with the Smith 586 or 686.

Nice hefty pistol, fully adjustable sights, and its bigger 10-round magazine is a lot better suited to reloading-on-the-run than are the 8-round magazines of "automatic"-styled Umarex pistols.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    CO2's fine if you're on the small side or have weak, limp wrists. If you're more manly tho, how about a Gat! The slightly lower rate of fire is more than made up by the sheer power and accuracy.
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

Cheers guys

Thanx Jim, I will look into them fella.

Oh, and as far as Gat's go Tinbum, I better give them a miss as I once had a spud gun and nearly killed myself with the awesome unregulated power and root vegtable amunition.

I agree with Jim, but prompted by your mention of TACs, you could also look at the Dan Wessons. They are BB only (4.5mm or 6 mm) but make enough power to be air pistols not airsoft.

Big grin factor, though obviously not as accurate as the S+W, which is rifled.
    Morally flawed

I have both

I have both the CP88 and the Dan Wesson as mentioned.
    I would seriously consider getting both as both have there merits.
    Also I just saw one posted in the sales section for £90 which is pretty good (a Wesson that is)
    Here comes the pain
    Good deals with : royalscotsgrays Sid66 Ralfy1211 bobmeister DannyT THE ALICE sunnylunan lewispaul1022 u.k.neil Headshotace wild dogman steeleye Gareth W-B Butt1985 PALADIN

My granddad bought a Walther P99 when he got jealous of my Beretta 92FS, and although it is a decent gun, it just didn't feel quite right. If you tried to do a double tap, the trigger seemed to never let you, it'd stop half way. Although in terms of weight distribution it is perfect for one handed shooting, which is what my granddad bought it for (He has polio in his left arm). Also, the Co2 cannister is a bugger to change.

I think i remember my Umarex Beretta 92 being rated highly as an all round good pistol by a Magazine, so i'd recommend that too, it's a dream to shoot, but the build quality is not overly brilliant. The Safety literally fell out within a week of buying it when i pulled the trigger, the foresight magically broke itself, and the top slide seems to come undone all of its own accord!

Dom

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    CO2's fine if you're on the small side or have weak, limp wrists. If you're more manly tho, how about a Gat! The slightly lower rate of fire is more than made up by the sheer power and accuracy.
    It's about choosing a pistol which is correct for the range of disciplines intended, you always get one (or more) suggesting an HW45 when a request is made for a recommendation even though IPAS, action Pistol or Police Pistol is mentioned in the OP.
    Will we see you at the next UBC meet? You can show us how to shoot IPAS and Police Pistol with your choice of single shot
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Gee,
    I'd recommend you avoid the CP99, they have a shorter barrel than most other Umarex models and also have a trigger bar which can fail and is out of stock at Chambers Gun Spares.
    The 6" Smith & Wesson or Colt 1911 are both excellent choices, Beretta 92 and CP88 are also good,
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

i have a colt 1911 and 92f coming up for sale
    both mint