Thread: Theoben service work anyone?

Theoben service work anyone?

Contaced two well respected airgun shops in the west midlands today regarding pumping up my evo and both of them said take it back to Theoben, they both refused to work on the brand , the last guys said they have had too much trouble with them in the past....not what I was expecting to hear from a shop.

I have not yet contaced Theoben but I've read that they can take a long time to repair guns, is there anybody else out there who will work on them?.

I've even tried to buy a pump but nobody has any in stock...poor service to say the least

I had my Evo repaired about 3 months ago.

Contacted them by phone first, they said just pack it up and send it into them, which I did. I suggest contacting them to find out the correct address as the one listed in the warranty leaflet is no longer correct.

They said it would take about 2 weeks as they had a few guns awaiting service / repair but I got my Evo back within a week.

Paid for the repair by debit card over the phone. Can't really complain about that.

Did you happen to have the Ram pumped up by any chance?....what are the prices like?

What ever happened to BTAS?

My sympathy goes out to you mate, Ive been there more that a few times myself its not acceptable how many of these guns loose their pressure thats probably why you have to wait so long with theoben for a repair that takes minutes!!

But its not really a fix because if the guns lost pressure to start with it will more than likely happen again over time.

When you bring up these points it seems the fans jump on you with both feet on here, trouble is I too was a big fan but in the real world these guns are not low maintenance or more reliable than a spring as theoben like to boast!!

I want a self contained hunting gun again and when I look at the theoben evo carbine in walnut my heart says just go and buy one, but my head tells me to buy a hw97 and get a v mach tune

Hope you get sorted soon anyway ATB

i've got the full left handed walnut stocked evo.
    i'm not singing it's praises but my probs are already posted on here.
    There is a knack to filling the ram though,when you have pumped it up you must tap the valve so it snaps shut the tiny blast of air also blows the valve seat clean.
    Even the tiniest bit of dust at the pressures they run at will alow air to slowly weep out.
    When i took the blanking plug from the back of mine a small amount of air pressure was evident as there was a small hiss but since tapping the valve it does this no more and the power stays up.

Didnt half make me jump when I did this one my first theoben rammer

Interesting, I have read on other forums that they can be filled with a diving tank, is this not the case then?

it will cost you £50 in postage alone. I got my pump from Blackpool air rifles who had it in stock. If you were closer I would do it for you. For the record none of my 3 have ever leaked but my .22 evo was low from new, pumped it up and has been ok since. Just done one for a mate who said his leaked. Pumped it up a bit high and left it for a week, no sign of dropping so tapped the valve till 11,3/4 ish and not heard ewt since!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyClough View Post
    Interesting, I have read on other forums that they can be filled with a diving tank, is this not the case then?
    you could i suppose but it's such a small amount of air a manual pump is easier for the tiny amount you need.
    i use my hose(from bar) on a hills pump,just needed a male to male adaptor to join the hoses that any hydraulic hose companys stocks(abbey hose and hydraulic) mine cost 25p.

Quote Originally Posted by engraver View Post
    My sympathy goes out to you mate, Ive been there more that a few times myself its not acceptable how many of these guns loose their pressure thats probably why you have to wait so long with theoben for a repair that takes minutes!!

But its not really a fix because if the guns lost pressure to start with it will more than likely happen again over time.

When you bring up these points it seems the fans jump on you with both feet on here, trouble is I too was a big fan but in the real world these guns are not low maintenance or more reliable than a spring as theoben like to boast!!

I want a self contained hunting gun again and when I look at the theoben evo carbine in walnut my heart says just go and buy one, but my head tells me to buy a hw97 and get a v mach tune

Hope you get sorted soon anyway ATB
    My old feman was sound, loved it.....my evo is a carbine and when new it seemed ok. I would love to just go out and buy a good springer but your looking at £300 + the wife would go mad :-).
    I'll do another ring around for a pump but failing that I'll try and contact Ben Taylor........while were on does anybody know if a 1.77 barrel would fit on my current 22 rifle?

Cheers
    Guys

Quote Originally Posted by AndyClough View Post
    I reckon that they must be considering that Theoben fill/top up the rams via a Nitrogen tank.

I did have problems with my SLR98, the piston crown burnt out through no fault of mine then a while later I lost most of the pressure this resulted in a new ram being fitted so I like to think that the initial problem was related to the ram being faulty in the first place, I put this down to t saying "Sh*t happens" and bear in mind Theoben do not make the rams.

This was 2 years ago and all was sorted under warranty and he SLR98 has been steady as a rock since.

I did get hold of a 10 month old .20 Evolution which was firing at 10.4 ftlbs Darren at Theoben gave me a hose, I pumped her up but put about a lb too much in so as required I tapped the valve expecting to release a little but instead I dumped the whole ram all is well now she is set at 11.4 ft lbs.

Personally I think that Theoben get far more than their fair share of slagging down and its a shame really as faults appear in anything you buy whether its a Rifle, Car or computer!

Regards

Martin

With all due respect If you buy a car or computor that breaks down as frequently as theoben gas rams it soon becomes common knowledge and they get a bad reputation also, look at top gear if a car is rubbish they will tell you where better to spend your money.

If your guns leaking isnt a problem for you fine, but for others like who have to send guns to and from factorys ect costing £50 a time its a real ball ache, If you live outside of the uk I cant imagine what it cost.

I dont make things up I just say it how it is, some dont like it but hey ho its the truth I dont like spending on anything that claims to be maintenance free.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin(rockape) View Post
    I reckon that they must be considering that Theoben fill/top up the rams via a Nitrogen tank.

Personally I think that Theoben get far more than their fair share of slagging down and its a shame really as faults appear in anything you buy whether its a Rifle, Car or computer!

Regards

Martin
    Maybe they would not get slated if there rams were ok in the first place?, I could see if my gun had been used alot but I'm guessing that since I bought it new in 07 its had less than 700 pellets through it.

Bit of a p***er when you considering the guns are well over £400 new.