Thread: .177 pellet recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post

In your Beretta the wadcutters will tend to be shorter and less likely to protrude from the cylinder
    Yes, I noticed that, so would the extra space cater for the pointed type?

Would the pointed pellets be more likely to penetrate/stick in a back board etc rather than ricochet off??

Not sure about that dude, I think the wadcutters will lose more energy when they hit the backboard so there should be less energy for the ricochet.

Angle your backboard so that pellets are deflected downwards and you solve a lot of ricochet problems.

Or pop down to B & Q and get yourself a paving slab to shoot into.
    No bouncers and a pile of pellets at the base.

I were thinking that it would be easier for a point to start deforming on impact rather than the wider,flatter profile of a wadcutter???

I've heard conflicting views about using paving slabs/brick walls as back stops, some say don't.

If the point of the pellets were hollow then they will deform more easily, however I beleive that the majority of pointed pellets have a solid front.

The wadcutter should hit almost flat and better impart its energy into whatever it hits, its also a shorter and lighter pellet thats more suited to a C02 pistol. The front of the wadcutter is closer to the hollow skirt so again, more energy and less rigidity in the pellet.

It's worth a try though, but I would stick with a light wadcutter type pellet in the Beretta.

Thanks, I assumed that the pointy ones were hollow???

I'm not 100% sure dude, but if you compare an RWS Super Point with an RWS Hobby, the super points are 1.2 grains heavier so theres extra lead somewhere.