Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .177 pellet recommendations

.177 pellet recommendations

Hi, i have just got a second hand Umarex Walther CP88 pistol, and have noticed that occasionally a pellet will not fire (only 7 out of the 8 will fire), I'm guessing that it's because the pellet is getting stuck in the magazine, can anyone recommend pellets that they have used? Thanks.

Andy.

Hi there,

it could be a pellet that is causing it to jam, use wadcutters and ensure all pellets are seated correctly.

It could also be a worn magazine if the gun is second hand, do you have another one to try??

Try marking the magazine whenever you get a misfire, load up fully, and try again. If the misfire happens at the same spot all the time, it's probably the mag.

Thanks for the reply, will give them a go, and going to order a few more magazines anyway ..

I have the same problem with my 92fs, but it seems to happen less often with BSA Elites, they're the middling priced ones, about 5 pounds per tin.

same problem with my 1911, index's only does it about 2's every 24 shots though, pretty sure its a regular problem. i tried replacing the indexing paw but no luck,

Cool pellets

hi I have a cp88 which seems to like rws superdomes or the geko ,I had the problem of sticking pellets just a spot or two of power pelletlube helps (this stuff to me smells and looks like power steering fluid) ? just add to the tin or place a small amout in a plastic bag. I use just the smallest amount of copper grease just enough to cover a gnats bollocks on the inner spindle hole seems to work for me

I'm wondering about pellets in general, what difference does the shape make, pointed, round,flat etc? Which type is the best to buy in general?

Can you get ones that are not made from lead??

From your other post I see your shooting a Umarex 92F.

Stick with a light flat type pellet, I use Gecos in my CO2 Pellet shooters as they were nice and cheap and group well.

These make nice clear holes in paper. You can get pellets made from other metals but lead engages the rifling nicely and expands into it when fired. I have heard terrible problems with people getting copper pellets to group but have not tried them myself.

If your shooting BB guns then steel BBs generally work in all guns but lead balls vary in size and can deform in magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    From your other post I see your shooting a Umarex 92F.

Stick with a light flat type pellet, I use Gecos in my CO2 Pellet shooters as they were nice and cheap and group well.

These make nice clear holes in paper. You can get pellets made from other metals but lead engages the rifling nicely and expands into it when fired. I have heard terrible problems with people getting copper pellets to group but have not tried them myself.

If your shooting BB guns then steel BBs generally work in all guns but lead balls vary in size and can deform in magazines.
    Thanks, so out of interest, what are the other shapes for and why couldn't I use them in the Beretta?

I understand what you mean about lead expanding, never thought of that, just thinking about the environment/safety issues around lead.

Where is the best/cheapest place to buy pellets from?

Personally I don't think the other shaped pellets have any uses in pistols, domed pellets are fine but tend to tear the target slightly.

Pointed and Hollow points seem silly to me though I think domed pellets are best for hunting (with a rifle).

In your Beretta the wadcutters will tend to be shorter and less likely to protrude from the cylinder, therefore they are less likely to cause jams.

With regards to the environment, trapping your pellets will make it easier to collect and dispose of them.

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post

In your Beretta the wadcutters will tend to be shorter and less likely to protrude from the cylinder
    Yes, I noticed that, so would the extra space cater for the pointed type?

Would the pointed pellets be more likely to penetrate/stick in a back board etc rather than ricochet off??

Not sure about that dude, I think the wadcutters will lose more energy when they hit the backboard so there should be less energy for the ricochet.

Angle your backboard so that pellets are deflected downwards and you solve a lot of ricochet problems.

Or pop down to B & Q and get yourself a paving slab to shoot into.
    No bouncers and a pile of pellets at the base.

I were thinking that it would be easier for a point to start deforming on impact rather than the wider,flatter profile of a wadcutter???

I've heard conflicting views about using paving slabs/brick walls as back stops, some say don't.