Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weihrauch HW77 Mk1 - Collectable Airgun?

Weihrauch HW77 Mk1 - Collectable Airgun?

I've got a HW77 Mark 1 in .177 which believe was bought in 1984, possibly 1985 (Ser No 1014532). My question is would this now be considered as a collectable air rifle, and what sort of value would it be worth these days?

25mm piston, depending on condition anything from 50quid to 300quid...at 300 it would be a minter and 50 it would be a minger

what condition is it in

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Dunno but I am dribbling! The best of the vintage... Has it still got the foresight? If its in good used condition then £175 would be about right.

if you want a foresight m8 i have one here that will never be used....

im not a purist, i make the guns how i like em so barrels chopped and foresights removed etc..

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    if you want a foresight m8 i have one here that will never be used....
    Thanks - but I will need a rifle to attach it to first!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Thanks - but I will need a rifle to attach it to first!
    The olde "Can you saw a shirt onto this button?" syndrome.
    Been there ... done that.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Yes, it has the foresight, thanks anyway Bigtoe for the kind offer. It's in prety good condition, just the blueing faded on the underlever a little from when it was used as my main field target rifle back in the day, hasn't been used for probably twenty years or so!

Whys it called a Hw77 ? if it wasnt introduced for sale until 1984, Anyone got a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    Whys it called a Hw77 ? if it wasnt introduced for sale until 1984, Anyone got a clue.
    HW model numbers bear no relation to the year of introduction. There is a thread on this somewhere.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    I have the copy of AGW featuring the first ever report/mention of the HW77, as penned by the late great Eddie Barber. I think it is a 1983 edition. I will double check tomorrow night, but as Alistair says, the model numbers have no connection to the year, as the HW80 was out in the 1970s, the HW77 in the 1980s, and the HW35 in 1955 ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    HW model numbers bear no relation to the year of introduction. There is a thread on this somewhere.
    If you can dig out this thread, it would be of interest to a few of us Weihrauch shooters. I did read an article that said, the Hw35 was already designed before the 2ndWW, Hw50 Was introduced in 1950, Hw55 in 1955, i could be getting my facts wrong ? Beeman got Weihrauch to follow a design of his, to beef up the Hw35 into the R1 Which Weihrauch named ans sold as the Hw8o. Ill have to find the Article and report back.

If you can dig out this thread, it would be of interest to a few of us Weihrauch shooters. I did read an article that said, the Hw35 was already designed before the 2ndWW, Hw50 Was introduced in 1950, Hw55 in 1955, i could be getting my facts wrong ? Beeman got Weihrauch to follow a design of his, to beef up the Hw35 into the R1 Which Weihrauch named ans sold as the Hw8o. Ill have to find the Article and report back.
    From my own researches I believe the HW50 was indeed introduced in 1950 but the HW55 was on sale by 1952 and the HW35 by 1953.

I have documentary evidence of the latter two but not of the HW50. It seems clear though that the HW50 was HW's first post-War model and that it predated the larger rifles. I own several HWs from the very first years of post-War production. It's fascinating to see how the various models evolved over the next several years as the company tested out innovations, resulting in the perfected models that were then produced for several decades almost unchanged.

If anyone is interested, there is much information on these early HWs on the American Vintage Airgun forum, including posts by BBS member Frakor, who has documented many of them for the first time.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    I have the copy of AGW featuring the first ever report/mention of the HW77, as penned by the late great Eddie Barber. I think it is a 1983 edition. I will double check tomorrow night, but as Alistair says, the model numbers have no connection to the year, as the HW80 was out in the 1970s, the HW77 in the 1980s, and the HW35 in 1955 ...
    Hi Garath

The first view of a 77 in AGW was a line drawing shown after a factory trip by Eddie Barbour.

The HW80 wasn't on sale in the 1970's it was introduced in 1981.

All the best Mick

I would but I can't get google to work properly - there is no Custom dates thing on mine. BDTD got it to work.

The HW25 was not introduced in 1925 (Weihrauch was still making bicycles or something) and the HW57 was introduced in 1990-something! And the pistol HW45 was DEFINITELY named after the .45 ACP Colt 1911 which it resembles! There is no Year 100 for the HW100 either ....

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Garath

The first view of a 77 in AGW was a line drawing shown after a factory trip by Eddie Barbour.

The HW80 wasn't on sale in the 1970's it was introduced in 1981.

All the best Mick
    I remember making a special trip into Gunsport in Rotherham to see the 'new' HW80, despite being so very obviously still at school kind Mr. Boothby convinced me it would be a good idea to empty my post office account and purchase an HW80 from him, the sales tactic being to blow holes in a piece a chipboard propped up in the corner of the shop

I walked down Wellgate with a huge long brown paper parcel and strict instructions - 'Mek sure tha dunt get it out on t'bus!'

It was weeks before I actualy managed to hit anything with it..

Happy days
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930