Thread: Witness 1911 and Walther CP99

Thumbs up Witness 1911 and Walther CP99

Just joined the forum for info on buying a pistol.
    Was seriously considering a CP88 but put off by the price locally. Then i saw blooregard's enthusiasm and praise of the 1911 and how it operated more like the real thing than the Walther and that price at £80 unbelievable.
    When I mentioned it to the wife she said thats in her spending range for my birthday present which convinced me.
    Only probem was it worth a 200 mile round trip to Wigan and half a day to save £40. I was undecided until I rang Mcavoys yesterday and they said they were just unpacking stock and I could have one straight away , and the clincher was they also had a second hand CP99 so I was straight in the car to Wigan and got both guns, CO2 and pellets for the price of the new CP88 I was considering.
    Tested the Walther as soon as I got home but this is the first time I have held a pistol so cant tell how accurate it is because only fired 16 shots so far and I need to steady up my aim and then this morning I have been presented with a nice new 1911 for my birthday but not had time to test it yet.

Nothing like jumping in with both feet to a hobby

So a couple of questions
    the CP99 is used and some one has painted the ejection port black. Not too much of a problem in view of the price. But wondered if the previous owner was on the forum to let me know if there are any known problems with the gun. It was sold to Mcavoys yesterday morning 5 September and I got it in the afternoon.
    also
    seen the thread about bbs and the 1911 and again my knowledge is not there yet. so what bbs should I buy. Mcavoys only had large tubs yesterday and I did not want to get too many until I new what was best for the pistol and there not that many supplied with it
    Help Anybody
    Last edited by fatiboyjoe; 20-11-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Hey dude,

good to see a couple of purchases, hope you have fun!

I wouldn't worry too much about the choice of BBs, these are all about fun. They aren't paper punching target pistols and at 10 metres your into beer can shooting accuracy. However, there is a thread about the H&N lead bb which might be worth reading.

I don't think they will aid much in terms of accuracy (thought they are likely to be heavier so should fly straighter) but they will not ricochet like steel shot does.

It easy to pick up from handling it but once you have shot the 1911 you will certainly understand my enthusiasm for it!

thanks for that
    just tried the 1911 and i see what u mean about the steel bbs rebounding will have to try lead. but well pleased with my purchase. the only trouble i have is trying to pick up the llittle bs!!! to load them
    joe

which CP99 did you buy?

I only ask as your description confuses me - I have the CP99 and it doesn't have an ejection port to paint black? mine is the 8 shot pellet, did you get the compact? I know tim is very competitively priced but 57 for a second hand pellet version, well that's very cheap even for him!!

sorry as i said i am new to pistols dont fully understand everything yet
    its not a compact, its cp99 .177 8 shot pellet, with case, 2 magazines and pellets. at the price i can live with the finish
    the part that has been hand painted is the recessed section on the top back of the front slide and was just wondering why it had been painted
    the hand painting is probably why is was cheap but i just wanted to get into the sport and can can think of upgrading when i know more
    also just noticed the button on top left just in front of the rear sight, but cant see what it does?
    joe

Quote Originally Posted by fatiboyjoe View Post
    also just noticed the button on top left just in front of the rear sight, but cant see what it does?
    joe
    it is a decocking lever, makes the gun safe by de-cocking the internal hammer if you have cocked it in single action

manual here if link works

thank you

evening, i tried using the gamo lead shot in my tanfoglio the other day and they don't fit too well. seemed to be ok in the magazine but they were too large for the barrel, i find using the H&N bb's seems to work well.