Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther LGR Wanted

Walther LGR Wanted

I would like to buy a nice example of a Walther LGR.

Please send me a PM with details if you have one to sell.

A nice "mint" example with fresh seals and nicely figured walnut stock would be nice (!) - I would consider anything at the right price - but it must have a r/h stock.
    Last edited by zooma; 11-09-2011 at 08:59 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I have a good LGR, it could do with a reblue, it has a walnut stock diopter,and barrel wieght. it shoots well holds air without leaking overnight. Remember this gun took loads of Olympic and Commonwealth medals; and records. Its virtues were extolled by Malcolm Cooper! I would like £225 for this plus p&p £25 its a heavy gun.

Thanks Shaun,

That could be very interesting

Please send me some pictures when you can and let me know if it is an LGR Match right handed.
    Last edited by zooma; 11-09-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Hi Shaun,

I am still interested in your LGR. If you can't get the photos to send to me, then please answer the questions below so I know a bit more about the rifle.

Please let me know if the rifle has been modified or damaged in any way, or if it just has the usual signs of "wear and tear" and needs re-blueing..also confirm it has a r/h stock.

Does the rifle have a handbook/test card by any chance, and are you able to pack it safely to send it to me OK?

Hope to hear from you soon as I would like the LGR here to start the re-blueing and any other refurbishment it may need to bring it back to "as new" spec.

I will enjoy refurbishing the rifle as much as shooting it - but I will shoot it for a while first so I get to use it before stripping it for the new blueing etc.
    Last edited by zooma; 11-09-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Walther lgr match

£300 plus p/p No offers pics sent on request to your email address

Had this rifle over 30 plus years so I can keep it a while longer

My LGR Match has just had new seals

They were replaced by a well known airgun enthusiast on the BBS because of age NOT OF USE

I Bought from new but only been out of my Loft on a few occasions. The bluing is 100% and i no doubt can find the instructions etc.

It has had an oily rag rubbed over now and then. The walnut stock has a couple of small figurative knots

I only bought my guns to look at

ATB
    abewilson.
    ''The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens''
    Baha'u'llah 1817-1892.

LGR Match

Thanks - I will buy the LGR Match from you at the price you ask.

It sounds like exactly what I am looking for!

email sent

Almost Mint LGR MATCH

Hi Zooma

Lucky man

I have had this rifle since 1979 Its never been in a competition.

New Seals

Bluing almost as new see the email. Nice walnut stock.

Sale Receipt. Instruction Manual. Target Record. Serial Number 25313.

beginning to experience withdrawal symptoms

If you are not 100% satisfied you can return and I will refund you
    abewilson.
    Baha'u'llah 1817-1892.

Thanks Abe,

I have waited over 30 years to get around to finding and owning a good LGR Match, so I won't be in a hurry to part with such a nice example.

This one is a "keeper" that I will enjoy owning and it will get to see some 10 meter action too!
    Last edited by zooma; 11-09-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Lgr match

Hi Bob

Hope you are not put off by the following

I need to make you aware of a couple of details on the rifle I have sent a pic.

I have dry fired it since having the seals done, just to check that it works and holds the air. It has a loud crack and holds the air over a long period. I have noticed scoring on the link to the cocking lever.

There is some 1 mm play on a part of the linkage.

The arrows point out the scratch and to the screw that has a ratchet on the edge, I think for adjustment. To do that needs a certain amount of dismantlement. I do not have any experience on the mechanisms of these rifles.

Please get someone who knows what they are doing to carry out an adjustment.

for the inconvenience I will add a full tin of 500 RWS-MEISTERKUGELN airgun pellets made in Germany. (Hope they are not worth more than the rifle )

If you can handle all that then send a cheque to the address mentioned

ATB
    abewilson.
    Baha'u'llah 1817-1892.

I should be able to sort that out OK and then make a cosmetic repair to the scratch on the loading linkage to hide it.

Maybe when it was stripped for the new seals the cocking assembly was not correctly adjusted during the re-build?

I doubt it is anything too serious to worry about.

Cheque sent as agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I should be able to sort that out OK and then make a cosmetic repair to the scratch on the loading linkage to hide it.

Maybe when it was stripped for the new seals the cocking assembly was not correctly adjusted during the re-build?

I doubt it is anything too serious to worry about.

Cheque sent as agreed.
    I think there might be a small amount of slack in the linkage by design, IIRC from the one I had? 1mm of play doesn't sound like much. Knowing Abe as I do, he's bending over backwards to make sure you know about every conceivable problem - maybe even when there isn't one!

I held this rifle some years ago and it was absolutely pristine, about as close to a new one as you'd find anywhere.

IMO the LGR is a historic , pioneering air rifle, the finest in its class when it was launched and still a very useable classic. It has old school quality (apart from the plastic cocking and tap loading knobs!) - beautifully blued steel and walnut, and has a performance that is not much different from the FWB 600 series that copied it. True, it's a little harder to cock than the FWBs but unless you're planning on a marathon session, you'll get used to it - plus get fit in the process.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks for your reassurance Garvin, I had more or less come to the same conclusion and sent the payment anyway.

I also think if there was a problem that needed attention it was not going to be a major repair, and if I was not able to work it out for myself then I could ask for advice on this forum as there is a lot of collective knowledge availabe on BBS.

I am looking forward to the LGR Match arriving and I will let you know how I resolve the problem.

lgr universal

i bought a beautiful lgr universal from garvin a while ago and it has become my favouite rifle. as garvin mentions though the only slight 'disappointment' on an otherwise lovely piece of engineering is the plastic cocking knob. i was thinking of maybe re-making this in ebony or black walnut. has anyone ever tried this and if so could they give me some tips?

Here is a rare model variant of the Walther LGR, the Running Boar version, in near mint condition:

http://www.airrifle.co.za/picture.ph...ictureid=10562

http://www.airrifle.co.za/picture.ph...pictureid=6975

Now that really would complete the collection for me!