pre war bsa help please

info and pics here guys, think i've put it in the wrong section

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....n-my-old-bsa-s
    thanks in advance.
    atvb
    dean

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Dean you lucky chap.......

The top rifle (serial 1882) looks to be a nice early example of "the BSA air rifle", an early first batch gun made between Sept/Dec 1905, and dispatched from the factory before the end of 1905.

This is quite a rare and desirable early gun, and worth over £200 (easily!) I would say.....detailed photos would help, but she looks to be a very nice example.

The bigger gun is a post WW1 "Standard" 45.5" model, the largest action size BSA made, these are a more common gun but three are some funny (not in a bad way!) things about this gun.

Be aware that nearly all components from similar sized BSA rifles over the years interchange to some degree......your Standard has a serial number relating to 1921 / 22 production, but the rearsight looks to be an earlier Improved model D type, wheras the action main pivot looks to be the last incarnation late style single pin type (hard to see in the photos...does the loading area have a "flat" appearance like this ?......there are many guns like this out there with parts from various periods, for various reasons, ie. repairs / making a good gun out of two or more / even "updating" your gun (BSA themselves offered a service that allowed you to return a gun to get the latest "improvements".....ie loading tap and cocking lever mods, so your gun could look like the "latest" model!

The two action body below.....I reckon the top one is the type of one that goes with the aforementioned gun (or a similar type)....due to the latch style under the barrel.....however, look for any impressed writing on the cylinder, as it maybe an earlier Mod D "sporting" .22 with a later latch!

Bottom action..looks like a Mod D with strengthened "side fences" (compare the cocking lever to the top gun, and see how they beefed up the end where you hold it.

Some more photos would help, as would any other writing, numbers etc, trigger guards can be got from John Knibbs, or I believe Protek supplies also do one for the long tang standards.

P.S........can you do a photo of the sights on the big gun please?

ATVB, Ed

cheers for that ed, will get you some better pics tomorrow buddy.
    atvb
    dean