Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CO2 Pellet Pistol

CO2 Pellet Pistol

Hi All,
    Have just started looking into getting a CO2 pistol for a bit of back garden shooting.
    Thinking of something multi shot CO2 and pellet firing.
    I see in Airgun World that Armex/Umarex seem to supply most of these - is that the case?
    What is a good £150-£200 pistol. Prefer accuracy over 'realism' and features such as 'blowback'. Must be durable and capable of fitting silencer. Maybe even a scope/red dot sight. Good adjustable sights.

There are a lot of recomndations in here for BB type guns. I assume they are less accurate.
    Thanks

BB guns are less accurate and less powerful (Smoothbore with a spherical projectile) but far more fun than pellet shooters (Which I think are all a bit naff, just my opinion though, certainly not fact).

I like to think of currently available pistols like this :

If you want accurate shooting you get a SSP, PCP or Springer.

If you want awesome realistic fun you get a BB gun.

If you want a compromise get a CO2 Multishot.

Again, just my opinion, I cannot stand the revolver inside an automatic principle, even when Umarex make revolvers they stuff it up by having a largely moulded cylinder.

When Umarex make pellet shooters that don't use an internal revolving cylinder I'll be the first in the queue.

Finally, and people will be getting sick of me advising this, have a look at a Cybergun Witness 1911. Its BB gun and therefore not too accurate but when you pick it up you will buy it.

You are right that umarex seem to have a lot of the replica market. They aren't particualrly accurate compaterd to more dedicated target pistols - partly becuase the triggers are quite heavy which makes it a bit more difficulty to keep on aim (and hte short barrels and the CO2 power supply which is temperatyure senstive) But you can plink ok (and rapidly) with them. The CP88 and colt 1911 are pretty popular, as are the Smith and Wesson revolvers. I have a Beretta 92 which is I am happy with, but if I was buying again, I would be tempted by a S+W with a 6inch barrel which may help that little bit in the accuracy stake - and they seem more solid and hold more shots than the internal magaziines that blooregard has mentioned. WHatever you get it is worth getting something with a two stage trigger.

Cheers

Jon

Thanks.
    Most do not seem to have windage adjustable sights? is that the case? the S+W revovers seem to, and the CP88 has adjustable sights as an 'extra' (if you buy the 6" competition model)- any others have windage adjustment?
    I am not expecting single hole accuracy.
    Cheers

No need to apologise for the Witness plug Bloo. You are right.

If you want a gun for back garden fun at a good price this is the one.
    Also if you want a proper full functioning replica this is it.
    Reasonable price as well and the most accurate BB pistol I have shot.
    Also fits in my genuine 1911 flap holster which is too small for the Umarex Colt.

Umarexs are more accurate but you have to put up with the design and the price.
    If you really want accuracy you need a target pistol but different ball game.

The beretta 92's sights are adjustable for windage (but not elevation) - it is pretty crude adjustment though - you slacken off a small bolt with the supplied allen key, slide the sight a little bit and tighten up. The head of the bolt is accessed from above and not prominent, so it isn't obvious they adjust. Whether others adjust like this, I'm not sure.

cheers

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    You are right that umarex seem to have a lot of the replica market.......
    Cheers

Jon
    Does this mean then, that internally they are all quite similar? And that reliability, robustness and accuracy is likely to be essentially similar?

Leaning towards a CP88. Had a look at one at the weekend. A few others in the shop, including a S+W revolver and a CP99. No 1911 though.

I would like to fit a silencer, so I can plink in my back garden. I have seen silencers for the CP88 and CP99, but not the 1911 - can they be bought?

Can a silencer be fitted to the 'competetion 6" model?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by rich_morris View Post
    I have seen silencers for the CP88 and CP99, but not the 1911 - can they be bought?

Can a silencer be fitted to the 'competetion 6" model?

Cheers
    Not seen one for the 1911, not an adaptor at any rate. The CP88 competition won't take the standard adaptor as the muzzle end is sloped.

the only thing i have sen for the 1911 is a compensator ... it just extends the barrel and has a stripper like effect in the top

Silencer for CP88 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by short-carabine View Post
    Not seen one for the 1911, not an adaptor at any rate. The CP88 competition won't take the standard adaptor as the muzzle end is sloped.
    The CP88 Competition is one of the easiest pistols to fit a silencer to, and it is also very effective in dropping the decibels. Using the allen key supplied unscrew the screw recessed inside the false end compensator and it will slide off leaving a couple of inches of barrel exposed. fit an adaptor on the barrel and screw on silencer.I bushed out a Crosman silencer for my CP88.You will have to fit a little sight into the slot left from removing the compensator, or if you want a better long sight radius fit a small post on the end of the silencer.
    Baz

Quote Originally Posted by 2schimels View Post
    The CP88 Competition is one of the easiest pistols to fit a silencer to, and it is also very effective in dropping the decibels. Using the allen key supplied unscrew the screw recessed inside the false end compensator and it will slide off leaving a couple of inches of barrel exposed. fit an adaptor on the barrel and screw on silencer.I bushed out a Crosman silencer for my CP88.You will have to fit a little sight into the slot left from removing the compensator, or if you want a better long sight radius fit a small post on the end of the silencer.
    Baz
    Ah, I was thinking if you actually left the false compensator end on it would be difficult! Out of interest, what adaptor do you use to fit onto the barrel? I'm guessing it will need to be long enough to cover the exposed barrel section fully? The "standard" adaptor I mentioned (the only one for CP88s I have seen on sale) seems unlikely to fit.

After a bit of reading around, and a fondle in shops, I have narrowed my chices down. Which of the following is likely to be most robust,reliable and user friendly without much 'fettling'.

Umarex Walther CP88
    Umarex Walther CP99
    Umarex Colt 1911A1

I think there is not much in it between the Colt and CP88?

Whilst I apprecaite comments about the S+W pistols above I think the false revolver magazine looks a little naff. I am sure they are great guns, just did not lke the look.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by rich_morris View Post
    After a bit of reading around, and a fondle in shops, I have narrowed my chices down. Which of the following is likely to be most robust,reliable and user friendly without much 'fettling'.

Umarex Walther CP88
    Umarex Walther CP99
    Umarex Colt 1911A1

I think there is not much in it between the Colt and CP88?

Whilst I apprecaite comments about the S+W pistols above I think the false revolver magazine looks a little naff. I am sure they are great guns, just did not lke the look.

Cheers
    I've owned both a 1911 and CP88 and to be honest out of the two I'd stick with the CP88. The 1911 is a really nice pistol and, due to the longer barrel as standard, is probably slightly more accurate than the 4" CP88 but I just could not get on with the Colts Grip safety. This can be sorted and the Colt is very popular but if your after something that is not likely to need much fettling then CP88.

Just be aware that there have been some reports of issues with Umarex build quality on their new pistols at the moment so wherever you buy from make sure that they are happy to help you out if you do have any problems.

Exclamation Pistol

Do bear in mind that the 1911 has the best trigger of the umarex range, and that the grip safety ensures you have a consistent "hold" on the pistol a must for accurate pistol shooting imo ...mike... (it is of course a "mans" pistol )

Cybergun Witness 1911, who sells them in the UK?