Thread: Hello from newbie Jus1Chance, Interest in Early Diana Air Pistols

Hello from newbie Jus1Chance, Interest in Early Diana Air Pistols

Hi there, I am new to this and although air pistols are not a regular hobby of mine I have one that I would like some information on. I have an early Diana Air Pistol with one of the original projectiles. I am looking for information on what it might be worth, if it is an original, when it might have been made, etc. I got this from my neighbours who claim that they brought it with them from Germany when they escaped to Canada and escaped the camps during WWII.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated. It is one where one must push the barrel in and then unscrew the end where the projectile is placed and then fired. It has the engraving of the huntress Diana, wooden grip, there is no design on the grip. There is also a decal with Diana on the side of the pistol. I am not allowed to post pics yet, although I would really like to.
    thanks all in advance

Every quarrel begins in nothing and ends in a struggle for supremacy
    http://3d-accessories.simplesite.com

Hello, and welcome to the bbs. The picture attachment feature is not available for the collectors corner, but you can upload it to a photo hosting site such as photobucket and post the link here.

Likewise I'm sure some helpful chap will offer to upload them for you shortly.

Diana Mod2 again

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ght=diana+Mk.1
    hi is it this one or something like?
    if you would like to email photos to my addy I will gladly host them for you
    Martini
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

Pics Of Jus1Chances' Gun

Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

Diana mod 2

If you look at the bottom of the grip, there should be some numbers stamped in, unless time and use/abuse! has erased them.

These are for month and year of manufacture eg 4 56 would be April 1956 etc.

They are of interest to collectors, but don't make a lot of money say between £10 - £30
    depending on age and condition.

The wood on this one is light in colour, I have a similar nickel plated one dating from 1950.

Later post war British made models usually have dark wood stained grips.

A lot of people believe that inertia of the barrel popping out fires the pellet/dart
    but in fact the barrel flying forward compresses air around it which is forced through two small holes in the barrel behind the pellet/dart, which is inserted to the correct position by the loading probe.

ATB Chris.

Just looking at the pics again, it's not clear, but if it only says 'Diana mod 2' on top of the receiver then it was probably made in Germany, pre war.
    Last edited by CHJF177; 19-09-2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: additional info.

Smile Diana Mod 2 Air Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by CHJF177 View Post
    If you look at the bottom of the grip, there should be some numbers stamped in, unless time and use/abuse! has erased them.

These are for month and year of manufacture eg 4 56 would be April 1956 etc.

They are of interest to collectors, but don't make a lot of money say between £10 - £30
    depending on age and condition.

The wood on this one is light in colour, I have a similar nickel plated one dating from 1950.

Later post war British made models usually have dark wood stained grips.

A lot of people believe that inertia of the barrel popping out fires the pellet/dart
    but in fact the barrel flying forward compresses air around it which is forced through two small holes in the barrel behind the pellet/dart, which is inserted to the correct position by the loading probe.

ATB Chris.

Just looking at the pics again, it's not clear, but if it only says 'Diana mod 2' on top of the receiver then it was probably made in Germany, pre war.
    Hi Chris, it does indeed just have Diana Mod 2 on top of the receiver. It was brought over from Germany by my neighbours who just narrowly missed the death camps and managed to escape to Canada. This was during the war, but he had owned it previous to the start of the war...according to him. They are quite elderly now and I have heard that Hans may have passed away. I think I know how to get a hold of Hilda for more information but I don't think she would want any reminders of what they had to go through. It is still quite accurate, but I have no real need for this item and would be looking for a collector who would love to have it and make it beautiful again. I don't know if the decal can be restored but the wood is in great condition but needs to be sanded and refinished. Everything on it is original as it was used by Hans for target practice in his back yard and then it landed in my lap about 15 years ago.

Smile Diana Mod 2 Air Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
    Yes it is a Mod 2. It was brought over from Germany by my elderly neighbours as they narrowly escaped the death camps. He had owned it pre-war from what he tells me, I have had it for 15 years now. It is still accurate and original. The wood could use a good sanding and refinishing, but the DIANA decal on the side may not be salvageable.

"Still quite accurate"! Man you must be really good!

Sorry, not being sarcastic, but they have a reputation for extreme inaccuracy, so much so that mine forced me into buying more accurate guns and thereafter collecting. (That was 45+ years ago).

I have had one of these since childhood (British made during 1950s with pale wooden grip and over the years have amsassed another half dozen or so from the first German made (all metal, chrome or nickle plated) through to UK made (Diana mod2s, I also have Gem, Gat etc etc).

The pics interested me because, intrinsically, there is no difference between them and my old 1950s one which makes me think the nickle plated, pale wooden grip sample I have may well be pre-war and therefore of German manufacture as it came with two other pre-war mod 2s.

I think I read above a comment about them not being of interest to collectors, I am one of the odd ones out then. Agree with the valuation, they do not fetch much and with postage prices always rising that will not change.
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Diana mod 2

Quote Originally Posted by lodmoor View Post
    "Still quite accurate"! Man you must be really good!

Sorry, not being sarcastic, but they have a reputation for extreme inaccuracy, so much so that mine forced me into buying more accurate guns and thereafter collecting. (That was 45+ years ago).

I have had one of these since childhood (British made during 1950s with pale wooden grip and over the years have amsassed another half dozen or so from the first German made (all metal, chrome or nickle plated) through to UK made (Diana mod2s, I also have Gem, Gat etc etc).

The pics interested me because, intrinsically, there is no difference between them and my old 1950s one which makes me think the nickle plated, pale wooden grip sample I have may well be pre-war and therefore of German manufacture as it came with two other pre-war mod 2s.

I think I read above a comment about them not being of interest to collectors, I am one of the odd ones out then. Agree with the valuation, they do not fetch much and with postage prices always rising that will not change.
    I did say 'of interest to collectors'. I have a liking for these pistols and I know others do too. You are not alone. I have two from 1964 and a nickel pale grip from 1950. It stirs memories for many and they are responsible for starting the shooting career of probably more people than we care to imagine or guess at, me included.

As for sanding down the wood! I would say don't! part of the appeal is in it's original state and this one is an honest well used example in good condition for it's age.

Chris.

I agree ref original condition, I have a pre-war one that someone has scratched the calibre (4.5) and their initials in and would not dream of reworking it.

(Is it me or do you find that sometimes when typing on this site letters get missed out?)
    lodmoor

Quote Originally Posted by CHJF177 View Post
    I did say 'of interest to collectors'. I have a liking for these pistols and I know others do too. You are not alone. I have two from 1964 and a nickel pale grip from 1950. It stirs memories for many and they are responsible for starting the shooting career of probably more people than we care to imagine or guess at, me included.

As for sanding down the wood! I would say don't! part of the appeal is in it's original state and this one is an honest well used example in good condition for it's age.

Chris.
    What interests me is that I have yet to see any pictures with the DIANA decal on the left hand side of the grip. Is this indicative of its origin? It's quite faded with the D and the I scratched out with the ANA quite clear.

I haven't seen one before either, but that doesn't mean there aren't more about, can't be that common though. Even more reason for leaving this pistol in the condition it is at present I think.

I don't think there is much doubt from your story of it's origin and lack of country of origin on the pistol that it's pre war.

Can you find a date on the bottom of the grip as per my earlier post?
    Chris.

It is all surmise really, I have never seen one with Diana on the side except the original all metal one. Perhaps the first of the wood grips had a logo or, perhaps, the proud new owner added it.
    lodmoor