Thread: Crossman

Crossman

Iv just bought myself a crossman 2240 for plinking in the garden. Seams to be accurate enough and so far getting about 50 shots per co2 cartridge. Feels nice in the hand and looks to be well put together with a slick loading action. Sights are very basic but work ok for what they are. Problem iv got is the trigger, it feels rough to say the least. As you pull back on the blade its notchy and just generally crap. Is this normal for the crossman ?? Am i expecting too much from a £75 gun ?? Can i improve it with a strip down and polish up on the working faces ?? Starting to think i should have gone for the uvamex s&w now! Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Iv just bought myself a crossman 2240 for plinking in the garden. Seams to be accurate enough and so far getting about 50 shots per co2 cartridge. Feels nice in the hand and looks to be well put together with a slick loading action. Sights are very basic but work ok for what they are. Problem iv got is the trigger, it feels rough to say the least. As you pull back on the blade its notchy and just generally crap. Is this normal for the crossman ?? Am i expecting too much from a £75 gun ?? Can i improve it with a strip down and polish up on the working faces ?? Starting to think i should have gone for the uvamex s&w now! Tim
    GMAC do a replacement trigger unit I believe that makes a big improvement. A decent trigger shoe makes a lot of difference as a cheap fix though (I really couldn't be doing with pulling that part of my Ratty apart as well as the rest). I got a good one from SD Design.

mrto

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    The 2240 is a great gun,powerful and with loads of potential for customising if you have the inclination.I have several and they can vary a bit out of the packaging,but with a little work can be turned into smooth shooters.As a plus they are very simple to work on.As has been suggested check out GMAC they have everything you could possibly need to improve your pistol.You made the right choice by the way the Umarex stuff is in my opinion overpriced(these days)carp!ATB.

Many thanks for the imfo, had a look at the GMAC web site and they do no end of stuff for this pistol. Love the brass bits, you can really bling it up if thats your thing. They do a replacement trigger unit but are out of stock at the moment so will e-mail them. Ta again. Tim

1377 / 2240 triggers

I just recently acquired a 1377 and I believe that the triggers are the same between the two? the trigger pull was very heavy initially. I bought a adjustable sear spring http://www.gmaccustomparts.com/epage...oducts/0GCTSAJ from gmac. This has transformed the performance and I have been able to make the trigger very light. The mod takes 30 secs to do!
    I am also going to polish up the contact surfaces on the sear etc. once this is done it should be very smooth. Gmac's parts seem to be excellent quality and the service was very fast (I ordered the product and it was delivered next day) so if you are going for a couple of parts or a whole trigger set I highly recommend them!

Hi, my first post on this forum.

The sear is made from pressed steel and has slightly rough edges, you can massively improve the trigger smoothness by polishing the contact points between trigger/sear and sear/hammer, you can also scrag the sear spring a bit to lighten the trigger pull, it's not difficult to do but obviously make sure it's safe afterwards.

Have now removed the cheepo spring washer from the trigger pin and shimmed the free play out with plastic shims. Polished the sear and trigger contact points and changed the spring with a lighter one of the same size and hey ho, now have a much improved trigger. (80 per cent better.) Probably not as good as the after market units but acceptible and cost me nowt. If anyone is doing theirs watch out for the tiny ball and spring that run on the safety on/off bar, fiddly bloody thing when it falls out!!! If you fit a lighter spring make sure its still strong enough to hold the seer in place when loaded. You dont want it going off willy nilly when not expected! Tim

i just polished all the contact surfaces on my crosman 2240 and 1377 and fitted a lighter spring although you can shorten the standard spring to give less resistance.

good thing about crosman 2240/1377 is that they can be made into a very good pistol.