Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanfoglio Witness 1911

Sensory overload

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Interesting, I've never owned one but I am familiar with it. Why do you find them so disappointing?
    The real thing is actually heavier when fully loaded (although it gets lighter as you shoot it heh heh... )

It's the whole thing - Seven rounds in the mag, jack one into the chamber, lock the slide, eject the mag and load an extra round to give you eight shots - that's what they mean by 'locked and loaded'. There is nothing to match the a heavy twisting recoil, muzzle flash, noise and smell, not to mention the occasional hot case down your neck (or scrabbling about for your spent boxer primed cases... )

Look up Massad Ayoob on YouTube if you want to see some real hangun action and see what I mean - he wrote 'In the Gravest Extreme'.

On a sensory level, the CO2 replica is simply underwhelming by comparison.
    El-bow, the Spanish Archer

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanator View Post
    I've got a real one. na na na na na!

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...n/IMG_4327.jpg
    That's not the way to win friends on here.

A Colt .45 is about the only centerfire automatic pistol I'd ever consider owning. I owned a Government Model years ago, and it was THE only automatic pistol I ever owned that never jammed.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by beagle2 View Post

The thing about these guns is unless you live in the wilds of America or somewhere similar you would have to go to a firing range that could be miles away to use it.

With one of these is you have a garden you can just go out the back door and shoot away to your harts content
    I live in urban America, I shoot airguns, and that's why.

That and the cost of cartridge ammo.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    That's not the way to win friends on here.

A Colt .45 is about the only centerfire automatic pistol I'd ever consider owning. I owned a Government Model years ago, and it was THE only automatic pistol I ever owned that never jammed.

Jim
    Why is it they are called automatic or semi automatic,I always thought they were self loading if not capable of continuous fire.

Quote Originally Posted by pcusername View Post
    Why is it they are called automatic or semi automatic,I always thought they were self loading if not capable of continuous fire.
    Self-loading, auto-loading, or semi-automatic are all correct.

Automatic is not entirely correct, but most shooters use it anyway.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by pablowatercolor View Post
    The real thing is actually heavier when fully loaded (although it gets lighter as you shoot it heh heh... )

It's the whole thing - Seven rounds in the mag, jack one into the chamber, lock the slide, eject the mag and load an extra round to give you eight shots - that's what they mean by 'locked and loaded'. There is nothing to match the a heavy twisting recoil, muzzle flash, noise and smell, not to mention the occasional hot case down your neck (or scrabbling about for your spent boxer primed cases... )

Look up Massad Ayoob on YouTube if you want to see some real hangun action and see what I mean - he wrote 'In the Gravest Extreme'.

Oh yes, remember it well, but I don't buy a CO2 replica expecting the same experience. It is however as close as you can legally get and allows you to shoot loads and loads cheaply and safely in your own garden which is awesome. I miss the smell and ejecting brass is undoubtedly really cool but a classicly styled automatic pistol with a couple of thousand rounds of ammo and gas is excellent for under a hundred quid.

I fully understand your points, but I recommend you give one a try if you get the chance, they are fantastic fun.

I always thought "Locked and Loaded" refered to a muzzle loader with a charged barrel and the action at half cock. What you describe is condition one, safety applied, a chambered round and a full magazine in place.

Rayee is offline I don't need a gun; I've got an attack butterfly.
    Quote Originally Posted by pablowatercolor View Post

So shooting a real firearm is more of an event than a bb gun! next you'll be telling us the bullets go further!
    Toilet trained since March

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Mind you at least lead usually only goes one way...
    BB's have an amusing habit of 'returning to sender'

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Mind you at least lead usually only goes one way...
    BB's have an amusing habit of 'returning to sender'
    depends if you have a pellet catcher with a t shirt in

even re use the bbs

mrto

While I like the look of the replica and the way it functions I have to wonder what can be done with a steel BB travelling at just 300 fps from a smoothbore barrel??That said if Cybergun were to market an 8" Luger Parabellum replica I would definately buy one!

What are you intending to do with it dude? If your hunting white Rhino then its not up to the job, if your blatting away at tin cans its perfect.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    I finally persuaded my RFD to get some in

Here's mine after a morning in the workshop

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/PICT0577.jpg

Here's where you can get the shiny bits

http://umarexboysclubforum.myfinefor...5982.php#45982

ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Awesome, looks very nice, could well be tempted.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    The mag extension button makes it easy to eject the mag without changing your grip, something I always find irksome if you can't do it on standard pistols,

- Nick

Some evil chap on the UBC forum put an idea in my head that wouldn't go away, so instead of relaxing I did a little more Witness Tampering -

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/PICT0580.jpg

- Nick