Thread: Benelli SuperNova

throdgrain is offline There I was minding my own business......

Benelli SuperNova

I've been meaning to buy one of these for years! Eventually got around to it this week, the gun will complement my beloved 30 year old Remington 870 Wingmaster. I bought it from Barretts of Caterham, who I have heard mixed stories about, but for my part I found them very helpful and friendly, and would be happy to deal with them again.

Like the Wingmaster, the SuperNova is a 12 bore pump action gun. Unlike the Wingmaster, the Benelli is damn ugly. Well, to me anyway. It's black synthetic with lots of mouldings for grip, and a Comfortech stock.It does feel like a quality gun though, unlike some other guns Ive held, for example the Hatsan Turkish guns, and even the new Remington 887, which feels pretty cheap I think.

The Comfortech stock certainly absorbs a lot of felt recoil, and is adjustable for drop, and also to suit left or right handed shooters - very nice for me as a lefty. I bought a 24" barrelled gun, which give a lovely swing for me. It's supplied with three chokes, full, half and quarter. I fitted quarter, and doubt if I'll change it again I like the fact that you can load the magazine with the gun uncocked ( you cant do that with the Rem) and that it has a button on the slide which, if pressed, enables you to rack the slide and remove your loaded cartridge with loading another from the magazine. Very useful for a quick change of shot size!

All in all the SuperNova feels great. It wont replace my Wingmaster, but it will certainly run along with it, its a classy piece of work, and quite high tech in it's way. I cant wait to shoot it some more
    Mark

i`ve had the snova for a few years now. onr thing i can say is, they do attract rust in the magazine tube.

stripping it is easy, punch 2 pins and it clean in seconds.

be careful not to loose the rolled pin in the ejection section in the main body of the stock. its the thing that helps the extraction claw, the spring is for the extra tension when hulls are 70mm.
    i totally grease mine up, take out the firing pin and clean it, it gets fithy fast.

also if your forend rattles, you can tighten it up using the allen key screws on the sides of the forend, these will naturally loosen with time, just tighten 1/4 turn then check if it pumps smooth.

firt time i took mine out i put 1000 steel shells through it.

great day.
    Good deal, Paramainiac 20-05-07
    Good deal, Snipperuk 11-09-10
    Good deal, Skygrowler 13-10-10

Pump or Semi?

Why a pump over a semi auto?

Forgive my ignorance.....

nova, £500.
    M2 £1100

nova, 3.5" no feed jam issues.
    M2, 3" only,

whats not to like?
    Good deal, Paramainiac 20-05-07
    Good deal, Snipperuk 11-09-10
    Good deal, Skygrowler 13-10-10

Talking

Hi all,

I was looking to purchase a new pump and like the look of benelli's supernova. I love the reliability of a pump over the s/a but wanted something buttery smooth with minimal rattle and was suitable for us lefty's.

I got it down to three:

- super nova
    - winchester sxp
    - weatherby PA08

Im researching all three guns looking at many points and I was sad to find many videos and chat of the nova showing feed issues and striking flaws. I was very disappointed to find this and would like to know have any owners out there found these problems?

I have read these problems have been ironed out but its all a bit vague. I haven't ruled one out yet and I hope to hear good things.

Thanks all

Lock up issue

For anyone wanting a Super nova for fast follow up shots (like Practical disciplines) be aware that the action will lock up if you preload the action before pulling the trigger. The gun will still fire but the you have to push the action forward and then back again to unlock. The good old 870 is not prone to this and I can shoot it faster despite the extra weight. The main plus points for me with the Super Nova are light weight and large port for speedy loading.