Thread: Sussex Ballistics Ltd Airgun Sabo Bullets .22

Sussex Ballistics Ltd Airgun Sabo Bullets .22

Corrr! Remember these??
    Approx 60 or so 1980's vintage .22 sabo bullets and loading pen/tool.

Reputed to be able to perforate metal dustbins and deliver awesome downrange impact.

Truth be told they were a fiddly buggeration to load and 'accuracy' was questionable.

Found a tub in the loft cupboard with the loading pen that always went AWOL in the field!!!

Some of these went for just shy of 50 bleddy nicker on the bay recently with 12 bidders so in grand charitable mode these are up for sale for £25 posted

P.S terminal effects can not be guaranteed on todays modern plastic wheelie bins!!!

got half a tub of them here...no loading tool though, long gone

i remember my hw35 putting one of these right thru a wheel barrow at 25 yards...lucky i hit it though as they were shocking inaccurate.

Fond, fond memories.

Remember thinking I had a 'proper' rifle when I used these beauties !

Got my first tub free from Airgun world (or one of the mags) back in the mid 80's, I think the first 50 readers to write in got a tub of whatever was flavour of the month..
    BEWARE OF THE BEARDS

LOL I think it was the word bullet that caught the imagination, well it did this spotty herbert at the time!!.
    Solid copper coated boat tail shaped lump, technical loading procedure, sabot jacket that seperated from the bullet down range after launching as the core sped on to target. Brilliant concept, not pin point accuarate but in the interests of science and a trip down memory lane launched 3 today at an old wheel barrow test target as was mentioned above.

Perfectly perforated at 20 yards, launch platform was a HW80, aiming mark not hit but definately surrounded

This ammo sounded great in the adverts but accuracy was poor and Prometheus were superior for penetration of grass cutter boxes, etc. I still have 7 tubs of .177 Sabo and 2 tubs of .22, so perhaps I'll have to see how they perform in modern rifles.

D.
    Essex Air Ambulance saved my life on 20/08/2010 www.essexairambulance.uk.com

Prmetheus! forgot about them! Parents had a garden gate literally shot to match wood with these back in the day. Good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    This ammo sounded great in the adverts but accuracy was poor and Prometheus were superior for penetration of grass cutter boxes, etc. I still have 7 tubs of .177 Sabo and 2 tubs of .22, so perhaps I'll have to see how they perform in modern rifles.

D.
    I did not know that SABO were made in .177, the 'bullet' must be pretty small.

Thread made me go rummaging; three applicators and four boxes of SABOs. Also 5 boxes of Promethius of which 2 boxes are .177 and one of these purports to glow in the dark. Now who would go airgunning in the dark?
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

OK guys; now get on that Bay thing and flog 'em!
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

I have just got hold of a full box of .177 Prometheus

Is it true that these can damage choked barrels?

I am rather looking forward to trying them out having never even seen them in the flesh before

Thanks
    Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Just had a look in my pellet 'odds 'n sods' box, and found a box and a half of .177 Prometheus. I also have a couple of tubs of 'Champion Fireball' pellets. Both are marked as .177, but one tub, with a red top, has some .22 bodies with what looks to be a copper ball in the top, whilst the other tub, with a yellow top, has a full pack of .177 bodies with a steel ball in the top.
    I've also got a full plastic tub of .22 'Champion Devastators', and a tin of .22 Wasp Magnum Solid No.2 Pellets.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 04-10-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Typo error!!!!!!!!

Bearing in mind it's apple season I think we need some up close down range photos of the effects of these yesteryear pellets with these fantastic names!!
    Assuming an apple can be hit that is