Thread: Hammerlii .177

Hammerlii .177

Does anyone have a Hammerlii .177 side lever? I used to own one many years ago that was extremely accurate if a little low on power (about 8ft/lb)
    After the lugs on the side lever wore I never had it mended and ended up..throwing it away
    How much, if there is one about, can I expect to pay for one?

I remember hankering after a SIG Hammerli 401 in about 1981, but it was way beyond my price range in those days.

There were a few models in the Hammerli 400 series.

The 401 and 403 (target version with diopter) being most common if memory serves me right. The model 420 was the sidelever action in an ABS green (?) stock of military styling.

Here's an old BBS thread with some photos of the 401 which might help identify the model you are after. Click HERE.

And Frakor's Vintage Airgun Forum thread. He may be able to provide further information.

Pricewise, £200 probably for a very good one. Mick's Guns have one advertised at a highly optimistic £400, and a few have been advertised on Gunstar at £250~ again optimistic IMO. HTH

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Yes I have two. One is a Model 3, which DOES have the safety ratchet on it, and the other is a 401 in .177. It took me a long time to get the 401 together, there are a few floating around but not many. I bought a couple which had small faults until I got a nice one. The ratchet on the piston should not wear out unless it is not greased properly, mine had 30,000 or more shots through it and it didnt show wear when I sold it.

I used a 401 in the very earliest days of FT as a teenager and wanted it as a nostalgia buy. Apparently in the 80s some were butchered by people wanting their excellent barrels to put on PCPs.

There are probably some in Germany so you might be able to find one on eGun.de - provided that the vendor is willing to send it to the UK.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 04-10-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Thanks for the info gents..looking at the pictures mine was possibly a 401. The one I had was a basic stock though without the adjustable shoulder pad shown in the pictures.

Hammerli 401

I rememember one of the West London Rangers, can't remember his name used one in the early days of FT as well.

One of the AGW writers at the time was always singing its praises, a kind of "thinking mans Webley Osprey"