Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hw 45

hw 45

hi guys
    i am about to buy a hw45 want to use it for plinking in the garden the problem
    is which one do i buy 177 or 22 i would value your opinions thanks brian

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    You're probably as well going .177, that way you'd be allowed to use the range at most clubs if you visited one.
    You'll get higher velocity and flatter trajectory too which can make things easier once you get to grips with it.
    Me, I never choose the easy path
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

.177 everytime

atb paul

.22 more satisfying for plinking makes bigger holes in tin cans and much better for knock down targets

I got a .22 but really wish I got a .177.

Nothing wrong with the .22 I just prefer .177, and the ammo is a lot cheaper.

I recently got a 45 in .177 - as previously stated the flatter trajectory and cheaper ammo were big plus points for me. The .22 might give tins slightly more of a smack but they still seem to know it when a .177 hits them Mine makes my spinner target spin like a crazy thing

I do like .22s in general but prefer to make the most of the benefits of .177 considering the lower power pistols produce

I agree with all said for .177 especially for target practice but I still prefer .22. Much easier to load and or fatter trajectory try thunder bolt Zink pellets as same weight as .177. You could always get a spare barrel with the pistol, the use to do a .20.

But if you do go for the spare barrel approach go for a .22 pistol, a .177 rebarrelled will probably go over the 6FPE limit.

The trouble with the .177 is you have to set it up for high or low power.
    With the .22 no problem - high power every time!

My .22 has two power levels still use full power every time

Ref cost .22 Vs .177 a while plinking in the garden cheaper than going down the range and using firearms and often just as much fun

When I picked up a HW45 a while ago I went for .177 mainly because I already used .177 pellets in my other pistols and rifle. Full power on a .177 is more than enough.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a HW45 for a while, but unsure about which cal to go for and whether it would really make much of a difference at the ranges it's likely to be shot at.....

I would be using it for plinking fun really, but at what range would the .22 start dropping off compared to .177? I haven't shot a pistol since my teens, and whilst I'm comfortable with the differences at 12 ftlb with rifles, I don't have a clue when it comes to -6ftlb pistols...

In a nutshell, is it really likely to make a difference to a plinker like me, and if so at what distance? Being a bit cack handed I find handling and loading .22 pellets a bit easier, but it's not a major issue....

I've also seen mentioned that some HW45s have the two stage power settings, whilst overs don't - is this the case?

Cheers,

Tim

All new HW45's .177 or .22 have the dual power option and tru glo sights. If you go down the 2nd hand route don't get the old iron sighted models - the tru glo sights make shooting far more enjoyable in my opinion. I have a .22 and never use low power mode. Can't really think why I'd want to, it's not much harder cocking for full power anyway. My .22 is running at 5.2ft/lb with hobbies, and 5.4ft/lb on superdomes according to my F1 chrono.

I wanted a .177 when I bought mine new 3 months ago, but shop only had .22 in stock. I have not regretted it at all. .22 is easier to cock - as spring is not so powerful, and also shoots smoother, with less recoil. But.....either is a fine piece of engineering, and in my opinion the finest spring pistol you can buy.

If you can stretch to it go for the silver star or black star - the luxury grips make the shooting experience far more enjoyable. I find the standard '45 leaves my middle finger sore after 100 shots or so. Good luck, and enjoy whichever you go for.

All the best
    Mark
    Laminate stock HW100KT .177, HW100KT .22, HW95K luxus .22, BSA Meteor Mk3 .22, SMK Mod 12 .177, MAS 0.07 .177 BB CO2, Gamo P-23 CO2

Thanks Mark, useful info.

Tim.

hw 45

I had a hw45 in 22
    also a hw 40 in 177
    got rid of the 45, the 40 in 177 in my opinion is a better looking and easer to shoot and handle no recoil, plenty of power,
    cheers ,Dan.
    AA 410 CARBINE 177 PATTERDALE X JACK
    AA 410 CLASSIC 22 HW 40 177 PISTOL
    CUSTOM RATTY 22