To be honest I was to young to remember but can ask some of those I know who where there as well.

I shoot with a 300s and yes regulary out shoot the PCP's costing around £1800 to £2300. The prices of the 300s often surprise me most ask around £350 these days, similar price for the 600's. Not that long ago £150 was the norm for 300s.
My team will take delivery of an Air Arms 400 MPR shortly new about £750 to £800 (a gift). We will also have Gun Power Edges to use supplied courtesy of Gun Power. Plus we also have a SMK xs79, new about £100 new (fitted with diopters by us) and used by some junior members as its very light.

When doing indoor ranges at Game shows we are often asked which is the easiest always reply the 10m. They look at you mad, then after trying the Bell at 6yds and stopping them leaning on the table they then agree with us.

Some leagues have strict rules on the type of rifles ie no recoiless rifles and only open sights. In order to cover a wide range of people, in the league I shoot in, we dont have such rules. In this way it does not restrict members who think because they have an expensive rifle, they can shoot better. They can use what they have with no need to go a buy another rifle. We do however ask but dont check rifles should not exceed 7 foot pounds for simple safety over bounce back.