Thread: Bell Target Shooting.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Baby oil or what?

I have just bought a tub of Titanium Dioxide powder from "the bay" and am ready to start mixing it with a suitable fluid.

Baby Oil has been suggested as the thing to go for - anybody got any thoughts on this or know something better?

This will be my first "self-mix" and I am thinking to add the powder to the baby oil in a plastic jar and shake it until it is mixed - but I am of course hoping that is does mix quite well and not just clog-up in lumps?

Maybe I should mix a thick paste first and then gradually thin it down a little at a time?

Any helpfull advice may reduce the mess I am about to make!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Paint

In our League we use Titanium White artists oil paint, and just add a little 3 in 1 oil to it to stop it going hard, saves a lot trouble mixing etc, its cheap and easy to get hold of.

Jim

My lot recomend liquid paraffin. Mix it to a very thick paste not a liquid or anything that has movement, almost solid.
    Add the liquid to a small amount of the powder and keep working it in yes it will clump at first.
    Remember a little goes a long way and will last a very long time.
    Any problems PM me I will pass them on to our Chairman who is such a dab hand at mixing the paint he does it for many clubs
    and has been for the last 50 years.
    I have seen it done with olive oil but this did discolour it with age.

Quote Originally Posted by thimblehouse View Post
    My lot recomend liquid paraffin. Mix it to a very thick paste not a liquid or anything that has movement, almost solid.
    Add the liquid to a small amount of the powder and keep working it in yes it will clump at first.
    Remember a little goes a long way and will last a very long time.
    Any problems PM me I will pass them on to our Chairman who is such a dab hand at mixing the paint he does it for many clubs
    and has been for the last 50 years.
    I have seen it done with olive oil but this did discolour it with age.
    Thanks for your advice - 50 years of experience can't be a bad recommendation - however, when I tried to buy some liquid paraffin from the ASDA chemist last night ( the only place still open) they did not stock it any more as they have "alternative" and "improved" medical products to offer.

Undaunted I bought a bottle of baby oil as the next best thing, so I will mix a solution up with this and try other chemist shops until I find one that still sells liquid parafin.

Thanks for our help and advice - Merry Christmas!

First mix OK but does not cover evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Thanks for your advice - 50 years of experience can't be a bad recommendation - however, when I tried to buy some liquid paraffin from the ASDA chemist last night ( the only place still open) they did not stock it any more as they have "alternative" and "improved" medical products to offer.

Undaunted I bought a bottle of baby oil as the next best thing, so I will mix a solution up with this and try other chemist shops until I find one that still sells liquid parafin.

Thanks for our help and advice - Merry Christmas!

I mixed the titanium white powder with the baby oil and it made a nice smooth creamy paste.

Next I applied it with a (new) one inch brush to a new redrob bell taget face and it has gone on OK, but it is a little bit streaky.

I am guessing the mix may be a little too thick, or the face being new will give an improved cover with more use, or I need a softer brush!

Not sure which yet, but I am on a role now and will keep experimenting until I get a nice smooth streak-free covering ( is this possible?).

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I mixed the titanium white powder with the baby oil and it made a nice smooth creamy paste.

Next I applied it with a (new) one inch brush to a new redrob bell taget face and it has gone on OK, but it is a little bit streaky.

I am guessing the mix may be a little too thick, or the face being new will give an improved cover with more use, or I need a softer brush!

Not sure which yet, but I am on a role now and will keep experimenting until I get a nice smooth streak-free covering ( is this possible?).

Keep us posted with your results please Zooma- I have got some Titanium Dioxide powder off the bay and mixed a bit with some 3 in 1 oil but not pleased with the results yet - a bit discoloured and streaky.
    I will get some baby oil and follow your lead - Thanks
    Life without happiness is no life at all.

Quote Originally Posted by markmac View Post
    Keep us posted with your results please Zooma- I have got some Titanium Dioxide powder off the bay and mixed a bit with some 3 in 1 oil but not pleased with the results yet - a bit discoloured and streaky.
    I will get some baby oil and follow your lead - Thanks
    ".....and follow your lead".

That sounds a bit like "the blind leading the blind" - but the resulting baby oil based mix is super-smooth and is a very bright white colour, so that part at least seems better than your experience with the 3 in 1.

I was going to test the 3 in 1 option later, but I will take note of your experience and not bother with that option when using the same Titanium Dioxide powder - but I may test it with some Titanium White artist oils paint sometime as that may give a better result.

I got a couple of very soft flat brushes from Rossendale Models this afternoon and I am hopefull that I can lay the paint onto the Bell Target plate a little bit better than I could with the standard one inch paintbrush I used last night ( it wasn't that bad in any case to be honest), so I am happy that I have a good result first time - thanks to the advise from the BBS contributors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimlad View Post
    In our League we use Titanium White artists oil paint, and just add a little 3 in 1 oil to it to stop it going hard, saves a lot trouble mixing etc, its cheap and easy to get hold of.

Jim
    Thanks Jim,

That probably would have been a much easier way to go - but I have this large pot of Titanium White powder to use now - but I may well be tempted to buy a tube of artist oil paint the next time I am passing a craft shop!

Merry Christmas and thanks for all your help during the year.